Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to remove my pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gabe, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    This should be a pretty easy one for you guys to answer. I'm sort of knew to the land of bass modifications.

I want to change pickguards on my mim Fender Jazz. I took out all the screws, but the thing still seemed attached to where the neck meets the body. Is it glued there or something, or do I just pull hard? I was going to do that but didn't want to destroy anything important. I was also wondering if I need to remove anything to take off the pickguard, like pickups or anything.

Thanks.

2. Woodsey

Woodsey Guest

On my bass you just have to pull it hard and it'll come out. Sayin that you gotta be carefull because the pots will be attached to the pick guard. So in answer to whether you need take ianything else of - the pots.

3. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    The pots are NOT attached to the pickguard on a Jazz. They are attached to the metal plate and do not have to be touched when changing the pickguard.

4. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Thanks. So since I'm using a jazz I just undo the screws, nothing else, and then lovingly rip the thing off?

5. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    Consider yourself lucky, mine is glued on !:bag:

6. I would grab a butter knife and ease it under the pickguard. Take care not to dig down incase you scratch the paint work.

When i was working as a service techie a butter knife was the most valuable tool, it allows you to safely prize off a cabinent or a facia without damaging anything, because butter knives are blunt.

Take it slowly and ease it into the pickguard then slide it around it. Sooner or later the guard should just pop out.

:D:D

Merls

7. So a puddy knife would work as well?

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. If i knew what a puddy knife was! hmmmm

:D:D

Merls

9. They are called Puddy/putty knifes here in the states.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena