How to remove pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 27, 2002.

1. I was bored yesterday, and my guitar and bass are friggin' weak, so I decided to do some surgery.

I was going to put my guitar's single coil pickups in my bass, and vice versa.

But the pickups are like..welded to a wire. How do you undo this without taking it to the local metalshop? :confused:
  2. Son of a billy bob biscuit on a hot afternoon...out of the 30,000 registered bass playing members...nobody knows how to take out a pickup.

3. Oh. So it was the guitar company that did that?

So I need a solering thing.

Are all pickups like this? Soldered together? Or is it just because I have crappy gear?
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Soldering ensures a good connection, I'd be surprised to see PU's not soldered. You need a soldering iron and if possible another tool designed to "pull" the solder. It's basically a gun that sucks the solder off the wires so it doesn't make a mess everywhere.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Soldering is the process of using a metal with a low melting point to connect two objects in order to allow current to flow. All bass/guitar wiring is done with soldering.

The reason no one responded is probably because your idea, in theory, makes little sense. If you think your gear sounds like poo now, you will have dysentery in your hands when you put guitar pickups in a bass.
  6. I thought I just had to switch a few wires here and there... :D