1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to remove/replace speaker from SWR Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Lerner, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Mr Lerner

Mr Lerner

Apr 12, 2008
    Help is much appreciated: I removed the grill, removed the screws around the speaker rim, and... then what? Seems like there should be some access to the rear of the whole shebang, but I don't see any. Do I just pry the speaker out?

This is an SWR Redhead original, if that makes a difference.

2. Mr Lerner

Mr Lerner

Apr 12, 2008
    figured it out! Pry the thing out. I can't figure out how to delete this post now...

BadExample and Al Kraft like this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Deleting the post may be harder than removing the speaker! :)

Munjibunga, Aqualung60 and Mr Lerner like this.
  4. Mr Lerner

Mr Lerner

Apr 12, 2008
    It was actually kind of tidy inside. I was surprised, because at this point the outside of the amp is like 90% cat hair and dried beer.

Jeff Scott and Al Kraft like this.
  5. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Fortunately I had already eaten dinner before I read this... :laugh:

Jeff Scott likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    ...I sort of figured that (see my already eaten dinner reference). :roflmao:

Jeff Scott likes this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    But now that you want it deleted, this thread will go on for weeks or even months. Might get stickied :D

Aqualung60 likes this.
  8. So many questions unanswered.
    You got any pictures?
    Why are you taking it out?
    Was it broke?
    What are you putting in?
    Did your replacement work?
    Did you just want to take a peek inside?
    Was it all that you thought it would be once you looked inside?
    Got pictures of the inside?
    Is this your cat's pee on it?
    Or did random cats just circle around the amp and have a pissing match while the previous owner was loading in a back alley after a gig?

BadExample and ubernator like this.
  9. You can usually tip the cabinet forward a bit to help encourage the speaker to come out, as well as CAREFULLY use a flathead screwdriver to break the seal around the speaker when they get a little stuck.

I know you figured it out, but in case someone finds this post when searching how to solve the same problem.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Or even achieve the elusive yet revered Zombie Status!

BadExample likes this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    To Ye who reads this in 2026,
    First, no one said Ye in 2016.
    2nd, be sure to reply here so you don't get chewed out for not searching
    3rd, I realize "chewed out" could sound very violent by 2026, but trust me, it's worst that it sounds. Think public humiliation.
    4th, you will be rewarded with some nice pictures.
    5th, welcome to TB!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Yes, OP, you are morally obligated to answer all questions. That will certainly stitch up the odds in favor of STICKYDOM :D

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Sound like you have my old amp ---- I gigged the original Redhead for about 5 years, every weekend. Nice sound, but the weight to power ratio became inadequate for my needs.

14. Mr Lerner

Mr Lerner

Apr 12, 2008
    No pictures... I blew one of the speakers, and the other one was already a replacement, and not a very good one, so I got 2 Eminence Legend BP102s.

They sound nice enough. I also replaced the tweeter, which I have had disconnected ever since it blew about 20 years ago. I don't recall ever hearing the tweeter do anything, but it occurred to me that maybe the amp designers know more than I do, so I got a new tweeter horn and stuck it in there. I don't play slap, but I do play a Fender VI through the amp often. Still not really hearing much through it, but I haven't had a rehearsal or gig with it yet.