Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to remove stickers?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thursday, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    I have a P bass. I killed it with stickers. Now I just want to remove the stickers because I don't want them there. Please help.

2. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    You might try 'Goo Gone', which is a cleaner and solvent made from citus juice - no harsh chemicals. If your P is a vintage Fender (say before 1970) then it may be nitro laquer finish - try out ANY cleaner on a test area on the back first. If its newer or import it is probabally finished with a polyester finish coat and you won't hurt it with the Goo Gone.

If you're not sure... try a test area first to see if there is any reaction with the finish.

Good Luck.

3. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I use lighter fluid.
    I though there was xylene in goo gone.... if so I wouldnt use that!

not sure about that though.

4. Before you try any chemicals you might want to try a Glue Pickup - it's an artists tool used to remove rubber cement off of art projects. It's sort off like an eraser for glue - you rub it over the sticky reside and it'll pick it up, but it doesn't work on all glues, all surfaces in all instances.. but if you are have an expensive / cool bass it's worth the $2 investment to give it a shot. Your local art supply store will have one - good luck!

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Goo-B-gone... works like a charm.

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    WD-40 or GooGone.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

WD-40 helped me take the pickguard sticker off of my pickguard. It was really sticky in some parts, other wise I wouldn't have needed it. WD-40 does the job.

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Avon Skin-so-soft oil.

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    IIRC, naptha (lighter fluid) is recommended in Dan Erlewhine's book as OK even for vintage nitro lacquer. But be prepared for it to leave a hazy film that you'll need to buff out with hot breath and a clean soft rag.

10. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Avon Skin-so-soft oil? WOW, my mom uses that. Any chance of messing up the finish?

11. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Regular cooking oil. No kidding. Works perfectly, no harm to lacquer.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    For getting the main sticker off, use an orange dunlop pick.

13. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    Anything mineral oil. Gets off anything. Ever!

14. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005
    Use Bestine, it's a rubber solvent (aka sticker) remover.

15. Being an Aussie I use eucalyptus oil, but lemon oil will also work.

If they are paper stickers then soak a rag in oil and leave it on top so it soaks through. If they are plastic then you may have to score the surface first to let the oil penetrate.

Wood based oils are good cos you can rub them into the finish.

16. be careful with using eucalyptus oil, i used some to remove stickers off an Ibanez and it scratched the paint.

17. To remove stickers use LITE heat from a hair dryer DONT OVER DO IT just enough heat to get the sticker glue moving.Then,slowly peel them off one by one carefull, I have seen even cheap stickers remove finish if they are removed too quickly!Then remove glue residue with GOOF-OFF or GOO_gone..ect..Test a small area first to make sure these products done affect your finish.

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    C.L.R!!!

No. don't use CLR. I use a blow-heater to warm up the glue, then i'd gently peel them off, and any excess, i'd use Goo-Gone. Apparently, Nail Polish remover is good too. I haven't tried it yet though.

-Mark

19. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Not at all.

20. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    I use Naptha (wear gloves, do it in a ventilated area). Also nail polish remover is usually an acetone base product so I would strongly recomend not using it.