how to repair a warped graphite neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steviecsg, Oct 8, 2003.

1. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to repair a graphite neck that for some reason, developed a warp? There is no truss rod.

2. That's the beauty of graphite composites. By laying successive layers of fiber cloth in alternating/opposing orientation, you create an extremely stable construction. Besides, this material is all man made and doesn't react to climate conditions and changes. That's one of the main killers of natural wood necks. So, it's no accident that there isn't a truss rod - they don't need them. I think also, that the manufacturers will stand behind them in the case of a material failure that would cause something like a warp or other malfunction.
  3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    If I'm not mistaken, though, wasn't this an issue with some of the early Modulus graphite necks? It was my understanding that they didn't have truss rods, and sometimes they would develop a bit of a forward bow over time that then couldn't be corrected with a truss rod.

Is this the case? If so, haven't they since started putting truss rods in them or am I needing more coffee to think straight?

4. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I just got a Q5 myself. The necks DO have truss rods installed now a days. Although I doubt I'll ever have to use it, it's nice to know it's there if necessary.
  5. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    so how would one remedy a forward bow on a graphite neck with no trussrod? let's say the bass is a set neck or through neck.

I would believe the whole bass is a lost cause if that is so.
  6. Hmm, all of the graphites I've layed hands on didn't have a trussrod but that's only been some older Modulus's. I haven't even played some of the cool Zon's the guys around here have. I really didn't like the Modulus so I sort of put off other versions of the beast.

Yep, I would think that a set neck or thru neck would be a lost cause. The glues used to hold stuff to the graphite components are epoxies and other catalyst hardened adhesives and not the forgiving types of glue like hide glue. You've got to take the thing apart to correct it like someone mentioned up in Setup. Maybe the factory has an approach that would work but I doubt you'll find many,if any, independent luthiers or techs that would attempt a repair like this.

I sure wouldn't:D
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The issue was on the customers' side, not the necks'.
    They complained because of the lack of trussrod (unsecure feeling ?) so Modulus added one.
    Their sales have seriously improved since then.
    The trussrod remains totally useless.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

As it has been said before. It is not a truss rod. It gives no support like a truss rod does. It is more of an adjusment tool. If I am mistaken, I believe it just gives more relief rather than take it a way. Sorta like a single action rod. Others may chime in that know more about it.
  9. I had an early Zon that baked in the car on a VERY hot day. Bad things happened to the neck. Joe Zon recommended heat and pressure to try to remedy, or replace. I opted for the later.