Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to repair extra strap button drill holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Jul 9, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Get this.

I just bought a used Aria Superbass and the previous owner drilled 4 (yes, FOUR, quatro, three plus one) strap button holes around the original. 3 of the 4 are too wide to use so I guess he just drilled a new hole each time the screw stripped the wood. Moron!

Anyway, I know the tricks about using matches and toothpicks and dowels to tighten up holes and drill strap buttons back in. What I am more concerned about, is repairing the arse-ugly extra holes and my question is:

Does anyone have any techniques or tips for getting tiny holes filled with only wood filler (i.e. no dowells, etc-- just wood filler)? Do they make a squeeze applicator or sometihng? Ideally, I'd like to fill the holes tight with woodfiller, match the stain, and then gloss them to make them less noticeable. Would epoxy do the trick and if so, what kind should I buy?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Epoxy putty works great . They have some that is stainable . The best thing is you can mix it and roll it into little shafts like toothpicks , that way you can get pretty far into the hole . It hardens pretty quick too . This is not the most pro way to restore it but for what you are doing it should be the easiest .

Pete

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am not an expert in this area, but I have used wood putty before. My experience is that when wood putty dries, it tends to shrink a little bit. Also, when you apply it too deeply (like in a hole that you're describing) it could take a long time to dry. It might be worth it to partially plug the hole with a wooden dowel, and then fill in the remaining space with wood putty. I would let it dry and see if it shrinks. If it does, then reapply. When it's all dry, you can sand (I have no experience sanding an instrument). Then finish the surface.

Joe

4. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    What is it with people and extra strap button holes? I bought a bass a few months ago that had seven count them seven strap buttons in a row across the bottom. They are so close together they almost touch.

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Pete, I like the sound of stainable epoxy as I am gussing you pour it rather than spackle it. Is there a brand I should look in to? Thanks!