How to repair those nicks in the varnish?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by orchdork, Aug 21, 2005.

1. orchdork

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi, I'm beginning my third year of bass in middle school. I would like to repair those nicks and scratches in my varnish where the bass gets set down (like right on the edge).

Is there some kind of repair varnish? We tried using a wood repair marker, but it wouldn't soak into the wood. The "putty" crayons wouldn't stick.

Thanks for anyone's help!
  2. How about a marker? My bass has a very dark oil varnish, and I just use a sharpie to hit those little tiny spot that I'm never sure where they come from. Luthier types will probably yell at me for it, but hey... It's my bass, and I don't think it causes any real harm. :cool:
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    What also works is soaking the ink from a Sharpie into a cloth and quickly wiping the wood lightly. It prevents the punctate areas of color that can be created if you apply the Sharpie directly.
  4. interesting. I imagine straight marker on most basses would be noticeable since the varnish is usually pretty light. Maybe there are other colors besides black that would work well, too? Might check an office supply store or something.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it were me, I'd just leave it. Nicks in the varnish means you're a player and you use your bass. But if it really bothers you, I suppose you could take a staining stick and put it on the parts that are cracked. But this might also injure the wood as well as a Sharpie, so I don't know about doing that either.
  6. Do a search under bass bumpers. In that thread, we talk about touch-up, and the application of bumpers to protect the edges of your bass.
    Any hobby store has many different touch-up paints that will match your color.
  7. bass bumpers, curb feelers, pocket protectors... where does it end? :D
  8. I'm always talking about Old English Scratch Cover. You can get this stuff at your local Super Market. It's basically furniture polish with some stain in it. Works wonders.