How to repel mice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Aug 24, 2005.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So, every fall we've lived in this apartment, we have had a problem with dead mice in between the walls. It starts out simple, we can hear the thing rummaging around in the same spot for several days. Then, the noises stop, and the most foul odor creeps into our apartment for about 2 weeks. I don't know if the rodents get caught in one spot and can't get out, or if they go there to die. Either way, we end up with a nasty funk that nothin' will cover up. So I'm asking the TB community, how do you repel mice? We can't set traps because they are in the walls. Poisons are out of the question as we have pets. The landlord's cats do a great job of killing mice outdoors, but I don't think he'd like the idea of letting them loose through a hole in the wall. We do have a high frequency pest repellent that I'm not 100% sure that it does what it is meant to do. There are a lot of options on the net, I'm just wondering what you guys do.
  2. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was gonna say get one of those electiric high frequency things... but since you have one... i duuno ..... Move? Or you could get a snake!
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I would guess that someone is probably poisoning them in another apt. and they're going into the wall to die. That doesn't really help you.

brad cook
  4. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    You could try moth balls. Animals and insects dont really like the smell.
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That might be a good idea, but I don't have a clue on how to get it in the wall. There aren't any holes, and the mice do not have a way into the apartment other than windows or doors. I'm not too keen on cutting my own hole for a number of reasons.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How big is the base trim in your place? If it is 3" or more, you could always pop off a piece of base trim and cut a small hole in the wall to insert the moth balls. When you put the trim back up, the hole is gone. Another option is in a base cabinet. A third option would be to remove the faceplate from a light switch. The electrical boxes are made from plastic, so you could bend it a little bit with a screw driver and drop a few moth balls in that way.

7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Stop taken showers... then you will have odor that is worse then dead mice and you wont notice them at all...
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    High frequency repellants do nothing at all. Best bet is to get a snake or ferrett and let it loose in the wall, but that could cause other trouble down the line.

I'd try the mothball thing, and if that fails check with teh landlord and see about getting all the holes in into the walls sealed to keep mice out. Its a huge job but it is possible.
  9. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    play ashlee simpson and pat boone really loud...
  10. I don't know who would commit suicide first me..... or the mice.
  11. You silly man. :D

Seriously, call a professional pest control guy.

It's the most expensive option, but a good pest guy will usually deliver results. He may be able to determine where the mice are entering your building. You can then do something to patch up the entrance.

I used to get mice in October, probably due to the mice coming inside for warmth, but I haven't seen any in about 3 years which just happens to coincide with the arrival of a large number of semi-stray cats in my neighborhood. I call them semi-stray because different people in the neighborhood take them in for weeks or months at a time.

Good luck.

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This would be my bet. Ask your landlord to send a memo to tenants (and himself) requesting that they use good old mousetraps instead of poison to kill the mice. They work great with a dab of peanut butter.
  13. You might want to try keeping a couple of cats. Often the presence of the cats is enough to keep the mice at bay. I have a couple of cats who do nothing but sleep most of the time - when I make comments about them being lazy and bone-idle, they're quick to remind me that the place is totally mouse-free.

- Wil
  14. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    my aunts been getting mice in her partment since i could remember.... but recently they started dieing in her apartment..

shes had thishorrible death oder in her kitchen for a while now and she thinks its because a mouse got cought inside the fridge and got squashed in the mechanics cuz when she had me move it there was a peace of the cotton cloth thing on the floor that belongs under the fridge or something or other...

so wich with be more effctive?

the moth balls or the whipped cream and lye?

according to fight club lye is only active when it comes in contact with moisture so wouldnt it become active as soon as it comes in contact with teh whipped cream?
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My apartment get some mice too, I'm pretty happy its not rats.

The flat below me is rented by a very eccentric ex-philosophy professor, and he's a packrat in the extreme (along with being a recluse without a phone)...and they seem to travel up the walls from below...I'm perfectly happy to put out poison, as they all go downstairs to die.

I'm more worried about the smell when my neighbor dies and no one notices for about a week.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Who can argue with such solid sources as Brad Pitt and Edward Norton!

brad cook
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just know that once you catch the moths it takes a precise touch to get the balls off.

brad cook
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Har, har, Brad. :D

When we had a mouse problem, we borrowed a friend's cat. His name was Kobe and he was a pervert. He got the mouse, but we were not really sure as to what he did to the mouse.

Cats are cool, but second only to dogs.
  19. We've all been discussing repeling mice at this thread, but no one seems to want to talk about rappelling mice: i.e. mice which descend down a rock face with ropes. :rollno: :p

Mike :D
  20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Looks like something The Qintar would be a true master at....