How To Replace a Pickguard...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, Aug 8, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I'm in the market for a new economy bass to suit rough pick playing (looking for that P bass growl) and plan on buying an Essex. So far I'm looking at the '62 P bass in lake placid blue with a rosewood neck. Anyways, I think it would look killer with a tortoise pickguard. The only thing is, how do you replace those suckers? It looks like the knobs would get in the way...? If someone could explain this to me, I'll be a very happy camper. :bassist:

Also, if someone could point me in the direction of the *cheapest* tortoise pickguard, that would be great!
  2. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi there!

you just take the knobs off and loosen the screws that hold the pots on. be careful taking the guard off because the pickup wires will be attached.

then take the now free pots of the guard and reverse the process, put them on the new guard, tighten the nuts, put the knobs back on and its done.

i think tortis with lake placid blue is awesome!

rock on
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You will likely have a VERY hard time finding a direct replacement pickguard, since its likely that it differs slightly from the Fender dimensions. If so, you'll have to send in your pickguard to someone like and have them make you a custom copy.

Just something to look out for.
  4. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Well, I've seen many people here that replaced their pickguards on Essex models and I don't think I'll have a problem. What I would REALLY like is a maple neck. Maybe I'll wait until they come back in stock.