Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to replace emg 35's with Bartolini's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deepestend, Mar 7, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'm thinking of replacing my EMG's with Bartolini's. I've got a quick question if anyone knows the answer.

It seems like most of the Bartolini's are passive, including the Bart M34CBC, which is the same size as my EMG's. My EMG's are active and I have the EMG BTS 18v on-board preamp (volume, blend, treble/bass).

What I'd like to know is if they make Bartolini active pickups or if I can just drop in the Barts and use the same preamp system... I can't seem to find an easy answer to this.

thanks,

J-R

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could use Passive pickups with the BTC. You need to use the correct pots for volume and/or blend for the Bartolini's (usually 250K or 500K). Let me see if I can find a diagram.

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Would I want to use passive barts? Do they make active's that are the right size? Their website is a little confusing as to what is and isn't active.
    J-R

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not too familar with Barts's either but I do know they make passive & active p/u's.

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It's been a while since I looked, but I think that their specifically active pickups only came in Fender configurations. You should be able to use the same preamp, but you won't have to run the positive battery terminal out to the pickup.

What kind of bass is it?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yup, I think only the (5)9E ("Active Jazz bass pickups"), and (5)8TC ("Active P-bass") are active pickups.

I think most people have experience with the passives, and that's what defines "Bartolini". Honestly though I don't know what basses might come with the active ones, if any.

The Seymour Duncan ASB IIs are active, but it looks like they don't have a EMG 35 shape, just 40 and 45. They might build you some though.

Passive Barts should work fine though, and odds are if you like the "Bartolini" sound then that's what you're looking for.