Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to replace speaker in Hartke Transporter cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fsanfili, Apr 4, 2005.

1. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    OK, I finally got a replacement speaker for Hartke Transporter cab. I've never replaced a speaker before -- any advice? How do I open the cab, just take off the grill on front? And will I need to solder the speaker wires? Any gotchas I should expect?

2. It shouldn't be too hard.
    This is best done, by laying the cab on its back with speakers facing up.
    Yes, you remove the grill. Then removed the screws holding the old speaker down. Then lift the old speaker up carefully. There will probably be a gasket or seal under the old speaker's flange, so if it feels a bit stubborn, that's probably why. Try not to tear the old gasket if you don't have a new one with your new speaker.
    Set the old speaker on the cab, near its hole, and look at the wiring. Make note of positive and negative terminals. Your old wiring will probably either have the faston (sliding) terminals, or it might have easy terminals that you slip the wire into and tighten.
    Put your new speaker on the cab hole's edge, reconnect the wiring. Make sure the connections are clean and feel tight.
    Your new speaker should have a gasket on the back, if not, you might be able to reuse your old one, but you will need some sort of gasket.
    Reconnect the wires. Carefully set the speaker back into its hole, trying to align the screw holes closely the first time around. Reinstall your screws, tighten in a criss-cross pattern until they are snug. Don't overtighten, and go easy at first. You want the screws tight, but not stripped.
    Test the cab and speaker. Reinstall the grill.. Rock and roll..

Mag...

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Don't forget to recycle the old speakers.