Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to replicate an Ohm Tramp sound with an Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vometia, Feb 13, 2005.

1. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    I might be trying to do the impossible here, or at least the very obscure, but I have an aged and not very powerful Ohm Tramp Model Bass amp which gives a great punky sound that I'd like to capture with my Ashdown ABM EVO II 500. I'm not sure if it's actually possible since the Tramp is solid-state and the Ashdown has a valve preamp, but just on the offchance... The Tramp's sound is quite a dry, growly one with lots of clicky mid/treble overtones (preamp clipping, maybe? Although I'm not sure as the P's passive output probably isn't enough to do that) when I play a P or Stingray through it, that great punk sort of tone that goes particularly well with those basses. Think JJ Burnel of The Stranglers with his black P.

I've been doing a lot of fiddling about with almost endless combinations with the Ashdown and my two Stingrays but haven't quite got "that tone" just yet; at least I don't think so as I'm reluctant to turn its volume up to the level that it'd really become obvious (don't ask!)

I'm really fond of the Tramp, but its output doesn't even seem to live up to its already meagre 60 watt rating, so I'd really like to get the Ashdown to at least approximate it if possible. I'll just add that it's not a peculiarity of the Tramp's speaker as it sounds just the same through headphones.