How to reply to "Why so many?"/"Is it good?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Well, after discussing what constitutes a 'good' guitar with a friend after school today, he actually got me thinking about "What really DOES make a guitar or bass a GOOD guitar or bass?" And considering he doesn't play either, but is eager to learn guitar, I figured he'd be genuinely interested in what DOES make a good guitar. That is, as opposed to most of my other friends who just ask "Why do you have so many guitars?" or "Why do you want/need another guitar?" and honestly couldn't care less...

I told him that every little thing counts; craftsmanship, wood used, electronics, active/passive, pickups etc. all add up to a 'good' or 'bad' guitar, but 'good' and 'bad' still end up being a matter of personal preferance. would/do you answer people if/when they ask "Is this guitar good?"
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If they have to ask, then the correct answer is always "No!" :)

Guitar/bass guitar conisseurship comes with time; beginners will tend to focus on the number of features an instrument has, which I've discovered over 17 years of bass lust, is the wrong approach. It is, however, the approach to which a lot of manufacturers adhere, so low-cost instruments frequently tend to be feature-heavy but poorly made.

IMO, setup, materials, build quality and, above all, good un-EQ-ed tone are the hallmarks of a "good" instrument; more so than a AAAAA lacewood top, handwound boutique pickups or 3-band EQ. If an instrument sounds good already, it shouldn't need a bucketload of electronics to cover up its acoustic imperfections.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    "I wouldn't of bought it if I thought it sucked." :)
  4. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    the three obvious criteria:

- it looks good.
    - it sounds good.
    - it plays good. (most important of all)
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree with Christopher especially about the good un-eq'd tone. If the guitar/bass sounds good unamplified and then un eq'd, chances are its going to sound very good when you set the eq.

When someone asks me is this a good guitar/bass, I say what I like and dont like about it.

the 3 most important criteria to me are

1. sound
    2. playability
    3. craftmanship.
  6. Ah yes...comfort/playability. I forgot about that one.
    Then again, maybe that's because I'm comfortable with almost every bass I've tried. :D
  7. Aggh but what about those people who buy a really nice geetar and end up destroying it buy playing badly?

I think many guitars have the potential to become good guitars, but if they're played badly too..... hmmm

8. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    that's because there are a lot more good guitars than good guitarists.