1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to respond...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Nov 17, 2010.

1. When you don't dig someone's original music that represents a genre(s) you advertise you're looking for?

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    You Suck! jk ;) I would say... Thanks for the reply. Your music is original and interesting. I am looking into some other offers at this time that I recieved before yours. I will get back with you if those other offers do not pan out. Something to that effect.

3. In what context? Looking for a band to join or a band to share a gig or...?

4. Looking for a band to join.

5. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Glad you're asking how to respond, simply because a lot of people don't have the manhood/adulthood to even take the time to respond when they're not diggin' something. We've all run into those kind of people where we have to assume "no response" is, unfortunately, the answer we have to intuit. Kudos!

That said, it's possible to respond with something diplomatically to the effect like what bassbully said, particularly the original and interesting part. But also mention that their sound is not what you're looking for, and that you don't think you're the right guy for the group. You know you don't want that band's sound. They will then know that you're the not the right person for the group since you're not into that sound. Everyone will then be on the same page. Done.

But leave some goodwill- if it's a smaller music scene, mention you will maybe go out and support 'em, live at a show. I've supported bands who's sound is not necessarily the one I want to be involved in. Who knows, maybe this band and you in your new band will play a show together or will run into each other down the road.

6. That may work only for the moment. I am using Craig's List and re-post every 7-10 days. They may come back with something like, "Hey I see you're still looking and..." in the future. I guess that's when I can say they suck!:bag:

7. This is very good.

And, I agree with what you said about not getting back to people. Most of the time people come off as nice or professional, like myself. I want to reply to them and I would want someone to get back to me as well. Even if they're not interested.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    As the other Tber said you can then go with "Your musics just not my thing" and "I'm not your guy". I tend to let folks down easy than slam the hammer but sometimes the old hammer do need apply :D

9. Giving criticism implies either you think you're above them or you maybe would want to get involved if they changed or improved this or that.

If they don't spin your wheels that's the end of it, let them know you're not the right player for them. I wouldn't promise to support them unless I had some interest in their sound. There's not many bands I'd go listen to if I wouldn't play their bass.

10. I wouldn't give anybody my honest opinion unless it were asked of me. That wouldn't apply here because I would already know I'm not interested. Time to hit the edit button...

11. I know it is a radical concept in the audition world, but "It is always easy and pleasant to tell the truth" (M. Bulgakov, Master and Margarita).

Just tell them that you are looking for a different kind of sound. You don't have to tell them they suck (even if they do) or offer any critique, just tell the truth.

12. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    "I don't think I'm the right guy for your project"

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It's always nice to thank someone for replying and showing interest. I'd other than that keep it succinct, along the lines of Nagrom's post above, and close by wishing them luck on their continued search.

14. TBrett

TBrett

Nov 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada

This. It's annoying when you send original, unreleased material out to prospective band members and they don't bother to respond. But I sure wouldn't want a critique from them, either. I like it when people send back something like the above suggestion. Then we can both move on with no hard feelings.

15. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Ask how open they are to revising the music. If they're not interested in your input, tell them it's not really what you're looking to play, or it doesn't fit you. Otherwise, make the changes you want and help the band become that much better.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You are correct. That's why you say, "Well, your band has a great sound, but it's not really the style I'm looking for."

17. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Thanks for responding to my ad and taking the time to send me a link to your music. I checked out your stuff and while its not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding the right bass player. Good luck with your project and drop me a line whenever you guys are playing locally! Later....