Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to restore rosewood fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoneroses, Mar 20, 2004.

1. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    You know,those white stuff that creep in between the wood grains on the fretboard after prolonged use without cleaning.
    well,prevention is the best cure.but what if the damage has already been done?
    The dunlop fretboard alcoholic cleaner recommended on musiciansfriend.com only removes dirt,the difference after one clean isn't obvious and I can go as far to say that if you can spot any difference,its probably a perceived one.

The brown color of my rosewood fretboard is slowly wearing off.that's what I want to bring back,plus hopefully those white stuff.
    so is there any sort of wood stain or miracle cleaner to restore the rosewood fretboard to its former glory?

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Get some 0000 steel wool, and polish the tops and sides of the frets thoroughly; then polish the whole length of the fretboard. I like to follow it with a miniscule amount of Dr. Ducks or a product called Alisyn, which is a super concentrated synthetic lubricant and conditioner for the wood. I don't use lemon oil...I have found that it never really dries, even in very small amounts...YMMV.
    I would HIGHLY recommend the steel wool, though. Be sure to use 0000 and 0000 only. Using a courser grade like 000 or 00 will scratch the snot out of both the frets, and is unnecessarily abrasive to the board.