1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to run a Ampeg SVT3pro at 4ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StringThing, Mar 9, 2008.

1. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    I have the manual too.. But I'm not sure how to run at 4ohms? I just got a Aquilar GS212 600w 4ohm cab and ran it at a show last night. I had the head pretty much maxxed out. I just plugged the cab to the head, so I'm assuming it was at the 8ohm 275W setting. As I have the cab for 30 days before I cannot return, I want to see what running at 4 ohms is like. I want headroom!

So, at the risk of sounding stupid, how does one run the SVT3 pro at 4ohms?

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The SVT-3 Pro has a solid state power amp section. That being said, there is no tap or setting for 4 ohm operation. All you have to do is plug a 4 ohm cabinet into the speaker output jack(s). You have already successfully ran the amp at a 4 ohm load, assuming that your description of your usage is correct.

If you want headroom, then you don't want an SVT-3 Pro IMHO. They just don't seem to have any "oomph." You are going to want more wattage. Check out an SVT-4 Pro, B-4R, SVT-6 Pro, or SVT-8 Pro. A SVT-CL will give you a ton more headroom.

3. GeddyFlea1974

GeddyFlea1974

Feb 11, 2007
    Alabama
    You were running at 4 ohms, giving it all 450 watts, by plugging the cab into the head. There are some reasons you didn't have a lot of headroom though. What does your EQ look like? Do you do a heavy bass boost? That will eat up a lot of headroom. Also, what was the gig like? Small or big room? PA or not? Does your band play real loud? All these things could contribute to you not having a whole lot of head room.

4. Make sure you have the EQ level (far right slider) on full even if you run the EQ flat. Also.. Start with the tube drive on full.

5. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks guys.. I played the same room with a 120W combo, and while this was louder, it didn't seem over 300W louder. Pulled the pad and watched the gain close and it came to life. The EQ boost seems like a good tip to try as well. The goosd news is if I was running at 450W, the cab handled everything fine. Watts seem to me to be deceiving numbers as they get higher. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

I'm going to try preamping with some compression, I think that will do the trick. I'm playing a jazz bass so they really like compression. It was loud, but I think it was punch I was missing. I need to try a 2x10 on top and see what I get.

6. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    If you put another cab on top of your 212 it would go below the SVT3Pro's minimum of 4ohms.