1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to run Crest CA-9 from Epifani UL502?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony G, May 29, 2007.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I decided to go with the Crest CA-9. The promise of incredible punch and tone was just too much to let go, even though the thing weighs a ton. However, I'm not sure how to go about hooking this thing up from my UL502.

I'm assuming I would have to use the pre-out from my UL502. Do I need a balanced or unbalanced cable? If I'm not mistaken, the pre-out from the UL502 is a 1/4" connection, and the input for the Crest CA-9 is either a 1/4" or XLR connection. Could I just get a short patch cable to run between, or would it be best to get a cable with a 1/4" to XLR connection?

Also, the version here doesn't have speakons, right? It has those banana plugs? I am planning on getting a short speaker cable with one side with banana plugs and the other side speakon. Do you see any problem with that?

On top of all this, I would like to also use the CA-9 as backup amp in an emergency if my UL502 where ever to go down. I don't really want to carry around a separate preamp, but is there a DI box or something small I could just throw in my gig bag to use in the event of an emergency

Anyways, it is still early for me and my brain doesn't seem to be functioning right. Please correct me as I'm sure I'm wrong about something here.

Thanks,
    ~Tony

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    On top of all this, I would like to also use the CA-9 as backup amp in an emergency if my UL502 where ever to go down. I don't really want to carry around a separate preamp, but is there a DI box or something small I could just throw in my gig bag to use in the event of an emergency

you could use a sans amp bass driver as a portable pre amp or
    a multy fx pedal like a POD or such.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would probably prefer to use something more plug & play with out all the eq possiblities, but I do like the idea of something like the SABD. Thanks. :)

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    BTW, I'll be ordering all the cables I need through Bayou Cables. I've sent an email off to him, but I'm just looking for any help you all could give me.

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    That's gonna be a KILLER setup! For most of your gigs, the UL502 will be fine and you don't have to carry the extra weight. Then when a really big gig comes around, break out the CA9 for the big wump!!!

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Right, though I am thinking about making it a regular part of my gig setup, whether the venue is large or small. The issue was never about volume, but about punch and presence. While the UL502 pretty much gets me there, I just wanted something to bring me a bit over the top. I just happen to think that the 2000+ watts at 4ohms bridged just might do that. :D

Plus, I get the added bonus of having a possible backup amp in the event that my UL502 may go down. It is a win/win situation.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I know somebody out there has a CA-9. How would you suggest hooking it up?

8. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    XMan, are you ever going to be happy?? :p

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I will be once I figure out what cables I need to hook this system up! :D

10. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    You can go 1/4" to 1/4" out of the 502 into the Crest, just use a short cable. If you're going to have this all in one rack I'd recommend a straight jack out of the Epi with a right angle into the Crest so that the back of the rack will attach without any disconnecting. Also, if your Crest has banna plugs than you'll need to get banna to speakon. I'd recommend at least a 12 guage minimum if not 10 guage cables at 3 ft.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thank you! Would you recommend getting a 1/4" to XLR to run from the UL502 to the CA-9, or just as you said with both ends being 1/4"?

12. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    1/4 to 1/4 would do fine. I used it that way with my Crown MT and Alembic F-1X set-up for years. I just left it plugged in the whole time. I also attached velcro cable ties to the inside of the back of the rack lid to hold the spkr cables in place so everything would be in the rack.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Great, thanks Mac!

14. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    just hook the speaker out of the epi into the imput of the crest....... jk

i actually used to do a similar thing with an old swr350 into a crest ca4. effects loop out 1/4" into the crest 1/4". worked quite well. the only thing i didn't like was adjusting the stage volume with the crest's gain knobs. they are the click type so no ultra fine adjustments. you might end up wishing you could turn up or down just a "half a click".

i don't know the compliment of in's or outs on the epi, but if it has a line level out that is tied to the master volume that would be ideal. your effects loop out may be post master. many guitar amps are wired this way. perhaps a headphone out if it has one. (with any out you try turn the crest's gain to zero before you fire it up just in case the out is especially hot. then slowly bring it up) you should be able to find a very usable range with all the gain stages at your disposal.

now kiss your hearing good bye.... jk dude, good luck, sounds like one heck of a sweet rig.

15. +1. That's good advice. Almost identical to my setup running a BMaxT to an old SWR power amp (with banana plugs) :D I made my own banana to speakon cables and then bought pro ones last Christmas.

Sounds like a killer rig. I'm thinking seriously of getting a 502 and doing the same as you (running power amp off it).
    It just makes so much sense having a light weight basic rig that you can make into a BIG rig. Good luck! :D

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks Crackbass and Shindig!

17. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    When you get it up and running, be sure to let us know how you like it. I know it'll have the punch and thump and ooooomph and so on and so on that you'll like. :bassist: :hyper:

18. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I'd just go 1/4in to 1/4in, there's nothing to be gained by going 1/4in to xlr. I agree with using a right angle jack on the crest end too, the crest is a very deep unit, you don't want anything sticking out the back.

My quest has enough output via it's xlr pre out (which I don't think your 502 has) to easily drive my ca9 into clipping with the input attenuators set to -10db. You should have no problems driving the crest.

If you can get a lead with good banana plugs on it you should be fine, I couldn't. I pop riveted a piece of aluminium into the back of my rack case and wired in some panel mount speakons. Easy, tidy and foolproof.

I expect you could use something as simple as an eq pedal to drive the crest as a backup. You don't have to use the eq on it but the additional gain might be useful.

The epi/ca9 combo is a punch monster, ultra tight in the lows and very responsive. You'll love it. Try it bridged too, not for the volume but the wallop. :)

19. 'X', as you already know, I ran that same exact configuration last weekend. The difference being, I only used one side of the crest CA9, set at half level, in a huge room! And that was MORE than enough. I was literally shaking the entire stage! I could only imagine what the CA9 BRIDGED into the ul410 would do. I use an unbalanced '1/4 to XLR' cable from the preamp, to the Crest's XLR input. I get a slight buzz if I use 1/4 to 1/4 unbalanced. If you're going to do 1/4 to 1/4, definately get a balanced cable as recommended in the manual. I also use a banana jack from side B of the Crest, to the 1/4" input on the UL410. Works like a charm!
    Also, if your bass is active, like mine, you may be able to sufficiently drive the Crest with your bass alone. I have an Aguilar onboard pre. I've previously plugged straight into the 1/4" input on the back of the Crest CA9 for an entire gig without any problems.

20. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Dominic, how does the punch of your 502 alone compare to the crest?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021