1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to run two preamps??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Oct 29, 2006.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I'm curious if there's a way to run two preamps, and switch between them with a footswitch. I have a really nice SS preamp, and a very cool tube pre thats very tubey gritty sounding and I was thinking about putting them both in the rack and being able to toggle between them for different sounds. Is there a way to do this, and more importantly, is there a way to do this without suffering from signal degradation (from splitting and recombining). They would have to sum at the end and go into one input on my poweramp.

Thanks!

2. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    I was going to recommend the "2 loooper" from loooper.com, but he seems to be out of business; the same "no longer making them" message has been up for quite a while. I'm sure someone else makes something similar.

Bass to "In" jack.
    "Out" jack to amp input.

"1" jacks go to and from one pre, "2" jacks to and from the other pre, and you can switch between them.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If each preamp had a mute footswitch, you could plug your bass into both preamps, the output of the preamps to a single space mixer and then toggle them with the mute footswitches.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yeah, I'm thinking about getting a high quality Y cable, and running into the inputs of both preamps. A buddy of mine said he'd put together a little box with two inputs and a baseball bat switch that picks which input and sends it to a common output which can run into my amp. I figure I'm not really going to need to switch in the middle of a song, so i can just reach back there between songs to toggle. It would be cool to do it on a footpedal, but I don't see any way to do it without massive amounts of cabling, and perhaps more signal degradation than I want.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Does anyone know who makes a high quality Y cable (i.e. not rapco or something like that)?? I've been using Evidence audio cables and it'd be kind of silly to run a $70 cable into a cheesy Y cable

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've posted a few times on my experiences with this about a year or two ago, so you may wanna search for my handle and terms like 'ABY', etc.

Short story is that I tried a couple different approaches... first was combining a Kern pre with a Thunderfunk TFB-420, and using an ABY pedal to alternate between the TFunk's onboard pre and the Kern, with the TFunk power section powering both. Dave Funk added an additional input to the TFunk, which he called "Power Amp Thru" to accomodate this. Ended up working not that great due to impedance mismatch between the TFunk power and the Kern pre main out. Swapping out the TFunk for an Avalon U5 worked great, however. Two different preamps and corresponding tones and a single power amp

Also rigged up an Axcess Electronics MIDI switcher to do the same thing, and this worked fine with all preamps I tried, both tube and solid-state. In the end, I decided to bag all the cabling and simply get a two channel amp (Epi 502) and have been very happy with the move.