Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to scare people with statistics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 8, 2004.

1. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Yep, exactly. Check out my signature! ;)

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

So very true...

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    ROFL. :D I love step 8 and 9.

4. That just made my college/university papers so much easier now. Thank you.

5. Luckily for me, we don't have SUV's here in Australia.

Yet. :eek: :p

6. Ahh...Adelaide must be a bit behind the times, ey. We definitely have them up here and have had them for quite a number of years, too. In any case, stats are only scary for people who can't critically analyse information given to them.

Leigh

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Interesting statistics:

Most dangerous room in the house: the bathroom! You're more likely to have a severe injury or be killed there than in any other room.

Most dangerous job in USA: farmer. More likely to die on the job farming than any other professions (reason: accidents with heavy machinery).

Most likely cause of death on the job for females in the USA: murder!

So stay off the farm and for god's sake stay out of the bathroom :bag:

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Interesting aside: I heard the most dangerous job in the US was being president. Don't think it's true, but look at the number that have been assasinated vs. total number (are we on 43 now? I can't recal. We'll work with 43.).

So, lets say Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley, and Kennedy. That's just shy 10%.

Then you can add on assasination attempts: another four (Reagan, Jackson, Truman Ford). Another just-shy of 10%.

We're working with 20% chance of getting shot here.

Now, I dunno if how that stacks with other jobs, but I thought it was interesting. I figure a police officer or some such (farmer?) is more dangerous, but I heard that a while back, and looking at the numbers, it's not the safest job in the world.

...and if you want to add dying in office of natural causes (more or less), add on Washington, Harisson, Roosevelt, Harding, and Taylor. Up to 31% chance of dying on the job. 1 in 3. Ain't it great?

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    90% of the people who read this thread will not reply.

10. atleast alittle less then 10% of the people that replyed to this thread so far like to use other tactics to scare people :bag:

11. Like many ninjas!!

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

:D

Rock on
    Eric:ninja:

12. here are some more interesting facts:

three out of every four people make up seventy-five percent of the population

Lastest research shows that research causes cancer in mice

nine out of every ten people agree that one person in ten will disagree with the other nine.

13. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    And don't forget that 60% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Old lawyer tactic with an unsophisticated jury....

"100% of Cocker Spaniels are dogs, therefore, 100% of dogs are Cocker Spaniels"

Polls are even worse most of the time because they pit what someone would hope to do vs. what they would actually do.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    more people die in accedents where people dont speed then in accedents where there was a speeder involved...

statistics sometimes are useless... all should speed according to this one :D jp

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My favorite part is the gullibilty factor.

I saw somewhere on the net that a junior high school kid did a science fair project that listed how dangerous and widespread a compound was and offered people a chance to petition their congressman to ban the compound. He called it dihydrogen monoxide, and listed several scarily phrased yet utterly true statements about it.

Ones I remember:

Dhmo is very widespread. It is in nearly every household. It is in the very air around us. It is even believed to be on the bottom of the ocean. Every single one of us has had dhmo exposure by this point in our lives, to varying degrees.

Dhmo is dangerous. Every disease-causing microorganism yet discovered actually requires dhmo as a component to be able to spread disease. If you were to inhale just a small amount of dhmo into your lungs, you would likely die. In fact many people throughout history have done so. And the ones that survived were often severely brain damaged. Prolonged contact with dhmo in its solid state can kill your tissues. It causes deceased blood flow to surface skin, starving the skin of oxygen and nutrients and can quickly lead to tissue damage and possibly death. :eek:

His actual science fair project wasn't how scary dhmo is. But how easily manipulated people are.

Strangely, some of the scared participamts still wanted dhmo banned even after they found out it is water. :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :scowl:

17. I also liked the bit where he detailed it's use as an industrial cleaner and solvent.:D

I think the best statistic joke ever done came from Friends:

SomerandomFreindscharacter: "Hey everyone, guess what!!"

Chandler: "The fifth dentist caved, and now they're all recommending Trident?"

I love that. It's a great way to slow someone down when they are all excited.:D

Rock on
    Eric

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey, a city council here in Orange County, California--I think it might've been Mission Viejo--almost considered banning "dihydrogen monoxide." ;)

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I had to think about that one, Bob. I feel somewhat deficient.