1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to score a vintage SVT cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  2. I was watching those auctions and decided that was still too much for me. I can guarantee one of the those tubes is bad; it's white, no vaccum. Good luck fixing it up.

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah, it ended up going for more than I originally wanted to pay, but I *really* need another SVT right now for my other band, and haven't had any luck finding one for a fair price lately.

I didn't notice that tube, thank for the heads up!
    I've got a spare sextet of GE6550s that'll go in this one... or maybe I'll get some KT90s. :cool:

Psycho, you get my email yesterday?

4. I just checked out that auction in the second link.

Man, what happened to that thang? Looks like it ate one too many SS amps. :eek:

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Man, that woulda been a bummer if you only won ONE of the auctions, though.......that happened to me with a fender for an old motorcycle that came in 2 pieces; some @*#% buffoon jumped in at the last second and outbid me on ONE piece, so now I've got half a fender, and I've been waiting for 4 months for another one to show up on e-bay...........

6. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    jazz - that's just a normal amount of dirt/dust/scum/mojo buildup from the fan of an SVT that's never seen a cleaning. Other than the amount of dirt, it looks pretty good. The most important thing is that the transformers aren't rusty.

Bruce - yeah, I was glad the 'cheap' part went first, so if I didn't win the rest of it, I would have only been out 50 bucks, and I would have at least gotten some tubes and knobs in the process...

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I got a complete '73 for $250 a couple of years ago.

It happened quite by accident. I was calling around to local shops asking about used amps. One store owner said that "I have an SVT". I asked "How much?" "$250" He said....really, really long pause on my end. "Hello?" he said. "How later are you open?" I asked. You can figure out the rest.

It ended up needing extensive cleaning (I had to literally take the volume control apart and clean the element with a pencil eraser to eliminate the scratching noise), two new knobs, a new power switch and new preamp tubes. Total parts outlay was about $100...so I guess the amp really cost me $350.