How to score a vintage SVT cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  2. I was watching those auctions and decided that was still too much for me. I can guarantee one of the those tubes is bad; it's white, no vaccum. Good luck fixing it up.
  3. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah, it ended up going for more than I originally wanted to pay, but I *really* need another SVT right now for my other band, and haven't had any luck finding one for a fair price lately.

I didn't notice that tube, thank for the heads up!
    I've got a spare sextet of GE6550s that'll go in this one... or maybe I'll get some KT90s. :cool:

Psycho, you get my email yesterday?
  4. I just checked out that auction in the second link.

Man, what happened to that thang? Looks like it ate one too many SS amps. :eek:
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Man, that woulda been a bummer if you only won ONE of the auctions, though.......that happened to me with a fender for an old motorcycle that came in 2 pieces; some @*#% buffoon jumped in at the last second and outbid me on ONE piece, so now I've got half a fender, and I've been waiting for 4 months for another one to show up on e-bay...........
  6. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    jazz - that's just a normal amount of dirt/dust/scum/mojo buildup from the fan of an SVT that's never seen a cleaning. Other than the amount of dirt, it looks pretty good. The most important thing is that the transformers aren't rusty.

Bruce - yeah, I was glad the 'cheap' part went first, so if I didn't win the rest of it, I would have only been out 50 bucks, and I would have at least gotten some tubes and knobs in the process...
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I got a complete '73 for $250 a couple of years ago.

It happened quite by accident. I was calling around to local shops asking about used amps. One store owner said that "I have an SVT". I asked "How much?" "$250" He said....really, really long pause on my end. "Hello?" he said. "How later are you open?" I asked. You can figure out the rest.

It ended up needing extensive cleaning (I had to literally take the volume control apart and clean the element with a pencil eraser to eliminate the scratching noise), two new knobs, a new power switch and new preamp tubes. Total parts outlay was about $ I guess the amp really cost me $350.