Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How To: Sell a Crappy Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Jan 22, 2004.

1. So I'm interested in getting rid of my first bass, probably on this site and need some help doing so.

It's a 2000 Cort Action walnut stained agathi with upgraded Bartolini P/J pickups and in Fair condition.
    Now heres the deal.

Would anyone truly want this bass as a whole or (what I was thinking) would it be better to sell it piece by piece(neck, body, pickups)?
    Even though I would have to get the pickups un-installed...

It's becoming more and more of a dilemna as I am becoming more and more in need of a better bass. I honestly don't want to keep it, but am unsure if I could even unload it to another person.:confused:

help,
    Glenn

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Selling it in pieces may make you a little more money, but you may also have trouble selling it.

It would never hurt to try, because you never know. If you're selling it on eBay, it might help to polish and wax it a little so it looks nice.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Are you selling it because you need the money?

If that's not the case, you might want to keep it. In a few years, its sentimental value might exceed any amount of money you'd receive for it today.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100%. I wish that I still had my first and second basses. I am in the process of hunting down one just like them, and when I do, will probably pay too much for them, just for nostalgia's sake.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, the pickups alone are woth $100 easy, and the bass is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I should know, I have one, but I bought mine to convert it to fretless. With those pickups, it would make a great fretless.
    how much are you thinking about asking for it?
    If the body looks good, I bet you could get $200 for it.
    how about a picture?
    Mark

6. Working on it.

GLenn

7. no pix at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice.

About the original pickup... I believe it was a set of Mighty Mites(maybe) but when I had the Barts installed they took out the originals and kept them(EastCoast Music Mall). Me being a dumba**, I haven't asked for them back since I got the new pups(last may).

I always need money, right now in order to get a nicer bass.

As for the body, it is my very first bass, it is three years old, and it has been through a lot. No damage to the wood persay but there are quite a few discolorations of the finish where I dropped it- hard to describe without pictures.

GLenn

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Here's the deal, most people buying their first bass, are idiots. I was one, and I know a bunch of other beginner bassists who bought terrible basses, even for the price. Put up an ad in the paper or post ads around town. Or send it to me for free, I'm not picky.

9. eh