how to sell my 1959 P-Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by chalie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Merry Christmas.

I think of selling my "all" original 1959 P-Bass 3 tone sunburst in excellent condition (with minimal ware).
    I live in Thailand and selling the P Bass here is not price attractive since the buying price will not exceed $6,000 due to it's demand so I am planning to have my associate bring it to the US, NYC early next month and leave it there for sale which you guys can have a better access to the bass.
    I also like to know if there is anyone would like to take the bass for sell on consignment (as I like to get the best out of it).

Please advise.

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Talk to Matt at 30th st, and Rudy at Rudy's on 48th. Matt doesn't normally sell real high end basses...Rudy had a 57 for sale awhile back, I haven't been in there for awhile. I know he does buy stuff for re-sale....

both have websites, so you could call or email before....

3. Have you tried talking to George Gruhn at http://www.gruhn.com/

He has world wide contacts.. prob a very good way to go!

4. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Brian, at www.thelowend.net, will sell it on consignment too.. It's not NYC though.. You should search Google for some type of vintage instrument shop in NYC.. There has to be one there that can verify it's orginal and get top dollar for it.. If that thing is all original, I'd think 20-30k is about what it's worth.

5. NYCBass

NYCBass If it feels good it must be a Jazz Bass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    I would also have to say that Rudy's Music Stop on 48th Street would be your best bet. It is really the only good Bass shop in NYC at this point.

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    You should also seriously consider Guitar Center on 14th street. They have a national network for vintage stock - I wouldn't settle for them buying it outright - I'd see if somehow you could strike a deal - use them as a broker.

7. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i think your best option would be to give it to me as a late christmas gift :)

8. I have a friend who is manager of vintage guitars at the Guitar Center in Hollywood. This would be an excellent place for consignment in terms of exposure.

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Wow that will be a great buy.

10. Hi Guys,

Sorry for very late response as my computer wasn't working the whole afternoon and we have 12 hours time different too.
    That is interesting what you mentioned. I heard about Rudy's but I like to get it on eBay also and I think only for some of them do. eBay gets more attention on vintage issue that at the store.

Thanks and will check with those you mentioned and get feed back for you all.
    Thanks so much for your advise.
    :)

11. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Kevin Borden (KEBO) at GoodGuysGuitars. He's in NYC and will definitely have an interest in this piece. www.goodguysguitars.com.

12. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite Gold Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    Here is another recommendation for Kevin Borden at Good Guys Guitars in New Jersey. I have bought two '59 Pbasses from him (among other vintage basses). In fact, he is currently selling a bass for me on consignment, and just recently sold a four string Fodera for me. Kevin is highly reputable and, I am sure, will be interested in either buying your bass outright or in helping you sell it.

http://www.goodguysguitars.com

Ben

13. If it were me, this is the way I'd go. George is well-known and his opinions/determinations/evaluations are well-respected by buyers and players.

14. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Another vote for George Gruhn. One of my offices is located two blocks from his shop and you will see interesting people coming in and out of there(Sting, for example). He should be able to match you with a buyer who has both interest and ability to pay. As others have said, George is well respected in the vintage instrument community and offers accurate opinions on the worth of a particular piece.

15. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Gruhn is the best in the buisness imo. He's also one of the few dealers who knows a lot about vintage and is honest. That's very hard to come by these days.

16. another vote for rudys music shop. the best bass shop in the nyc area.

17. well .... gentlemen :) I think I have a weekend full for arrangement
    thank a lot for those thoughts

18. did you already unwrap the case ;)

19. Dear All,

Happy New Year. :bassist:

Thanks for your support.
    I made several contacts to the person you made the recommendation and at the same time there were few PM to me about getting the bass from me.
    I realized that such arrangement doesn't realy provide me it's true value so I decided to post this bass up for sale once the bass arrive in the US next week and hope that I can make the sale to my expectation.
    Meanwhile if anyone has the interest please feel free to contact me for the arrangement as I think the bass will go fast with my expected price.

Thank You,

20. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Now is the holidays, you should wait a bit for answers from the shops. I also think you will get the best price by selling on consignment, probably higher than on ebay, unless you have really good feedback there selling instruments like this already.

What are you hoping to get for it, anyway?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021