Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How To Set Up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by just_a_poser, Jul 22, 2002.

1. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Me and my dad have been looking at different effects pedals (mostly wah), and he wanted me to come to a forum and ask about stuff. So I thought TB was the best...

O've never used effects before, so I don't know how you'd set everything up. My dad wanted to know if I'd need extra cables or anything, and I didn't really know. So if I get a pedal, is there extra accessories I need? And how do you usually set everything up. (I have a small little combo amp too, in case you need to know that.)

Also, can you recommend (I bet I spelled that wrong) any good (relatively cheap) wah pedals. We'll be buying over the internet,so I don't really have the option of testing them out, so I'll be taking you guyses word for it.

Thanks for any help.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Dunlop 105Q, best of the cheaper pedals. One of the best anyway, regardless of price. You will need one more cabel. Bass --cable-->wah--cable-->amp.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if your just starting out i dont really suggest pedals. Ive played for a while and never really gotten into pedals. it usually just covers for inconsistancies(sp?) in your playing. A bass wah is pretty useless also. Besides flea, ive heard few examples where this works. If you like funk alot this is the only kind of music u can use one much. The only effect i use religiously is a good 31 band eq or more. You can really shape your soiund with one. If you want a wah then the one suggested above is about as good as your gonna get.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not to mention batteries or power cords...;)

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I will not go on stage with a battery-powered pedal -- you never know when they're going to stop working. I have power cords/AC adapters for everything.

6. i agree with what was said above... if you are just starting out then dont buy effects. Also you will get what you pay for the most part when buying effects. cheap effects sound... well... cheap. Also, I would recommend having a nice amp and bass before going for extras like pedals.

oh all you will need is one extra cable for the effect. Usually a pedal has an input and an output. The output (usually on the left) goes to your amp and the input (usually on the right) goes to your bass. This, and a 9v battery to power the pedal, is all you "need". I would also recommend getting a good 9v adapter so you dont need to worry about batteries.

7. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    also, check the thread on the pw-10 wah/distortion...

8. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    snarling dogs makes a good wah / distortion for like $60 - $65...i think its called blues brawls, but im not sure about that.

9. Wanna wah? You'll be hard-pressed to beat Carvin's Vintage Wah at $49 www.carvin.com

Having said that, I would recommend the Morley Dual Bass Wah, since it offers true bypass, and switchability between pedal and touch-actuated wahs, the latter being where the hardness of your playing has an effect on how the envelope opens and closes on your note. This versatile unit is $99

I have the Boss PW-10, which offers several wah sounds as well as footswitchable distortion. I use clean and dirty wah settings, and a synth sound, where I control the filter sweep with my foot. The pedal has 3 memory settings, also footswitchable, and sells for $150

I might recommend the Boss BF-3 Flanger, which will get you into modulation-type sounds usable in a wider variety of styles. Funk is great & I love it, but you gotta go with what you're gonna use most and soonest to realize the most from your hard-earned money. This unit is $110, but its predecesoor the BF-2 is still out there for $70 and the CEB-3 Bass Chorus is also an option at that price. With Boss units, you can buy the Tu-2 pedal tuner that will power the rest of your pedals. The NS-2 Noise Suppressor also does this well and is my silent tuning mute. The 3rd spot in my 3-slot BCB-3 pedal case has the SYB-3 bass synth, but it sounds like that's something you are not ready for at $200 just yet. Good luck.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    But here's Boss's best-kept secret: They actually sell a daisy-chain power cord with three male plugs and one female plug. You can plug a regular Boss wall-wart power supply into the female plug, and presto -- three Boss pedals powered WITH NO TUNER OR NOISE GATE.

You call the number for spare parts at the www.rolandus.com website, and ask for the replacement daisy-chain cord for the BCB-3 pedal case. 5 bucks (or was it $8?) and you just saved like $80 for that noise gate you don't need.