Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to shield my 4003?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by marcinkus, Dec 27, 2001.

1. I own a Rick 4003 that makes some fuzz, I think it's a shielding issue.
    Can anybody explain me what should I do?

Tnx

2. Shielding for your Ricky is the same as for any other bass. 2 ways to go here - get the shielding tape roll offered by Stewart MacDonald ( www.stewmac.com ) and use that or get 12" square sheets of adhesive copper used by stain glass artisans (my preference) and line the electronics cavity and the pickup cavity. You could also use the shielding paint from StewMac instead of the copper. Either works well but understand that shielding won't help with hum or noise originating with the bass or the amp. This WILL help reduce (or eliminate) the noise associated with RF interference or the hum from fluorescent lamps and other outside noise sources.

3. Is it a active bass or passive? Check the battery. what type of fuzz is it? I know it sounds stupid but some fuzzes/hums can be grounding in the amp, it could be a poor guitar lead, low battery, dead strings.

Merls

not to cause alarm or anything. lol :rolleyes:

4. It's a passive Rickenbacker 4003. When I open the tones it becomes noisy...

5. u mean.. when you let go of the strings, it starts to humm ?

that is grounding issue...

6. try to ground your amp.. should help..

a firm tip here : if you have separate pre-amp and power-amp.. ground only 1 of them.. if you ground both of them they will counter-work eachother.. causing another type of humming..

7. It sounds to me that you have a grounding issue. It will be a good idea to check all of the gound points inside the control cavity, under the bridge and both pickups and make sure that all of them are making good contact. It is sometimes necessary to clean all of the contacts as they do become oxidized or tarnished and don't make good contact. If a cleaning dosen't do the trick you will need to use a continuity checker and check each point for good contact. It's a time consuming job but once done properly there shouldn't be any problems with noise for years. .

8. I suggest getting some steel wool and finding the grounding connection and cleaning it with that. If it is a solder joint, then try desoldering it, cleaning it and resoldering.

:D:D

Merls