Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to sit

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bfitz, Sep 26, 2005.

1. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    i've been having some trouble sitting and playing. through out the time i've played i always bounced back and forth between standing and sitting and now i just find it easier to sit. i've been playing around with different ways of holding the bass. i was tought to play mainly by two different people, both who sat, but when i took lessons i almost alway stood so i really never learned the "right" way to do it. i remember that the guy that i took lessons from (i can't remember his name) seemed to hold his bass more flat against his body. the shoulders of the bass almost parallel with his, kinnda like a cello. the woman that i took lessons with held the bass more square with her shoulders, more like when you stand up and play. i have tried both, is either one right or wrong? the way i hold the bass now is more how the woman held the bass. one other question, when i stand up with the bass with the endpind set for how i sit, the nut goes over my head. i know when you stand and play you don't want the nut over eye level, or that is how i was taught, and when i sit it doesn't. i lean the bass back a lot. to kinnda explain, the bass is at a 45 degree angle or more with my body. it seemed to ease up some shoulder problems i was having, but is this okay? sorry about the long post. i'm kinnda bad at explaining things. thank you for the help.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    There's no way for anyone here to advise you on this matter since we can't see you. The "right" way to sit or stand with the bass is whatever way is most comfortable and doesn't cause pain. Most setups be a compromise between the left hand and right hand. Find a balance that makes both sides equally comfortable.

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I sit lower, with both feet on the ground, left knee behind the bass. I sit with my feet in a 'natural' position - so that I can stand up without moving them. This way, the bass at a more horizontal position which I've found beneficial, and it doesn't move around. Also sitting with both feet on the ground, rather than one foot on a stool doesn't twist your back. Only slight drawback is you need to have the music stand lower in orchestra, but if being taller it's not such a big deal for me. If you wanted to retain this position on a higher stool you'd need foot 'paddles' and a long spike. Another is if you have a flat-backed bass you might like to put a cloth between your knee and the bass for comfort, this isn't such a probllem with swell-backed basses.

It felt a bit weird for a few days, as it would whenever you change anything major about the way you play, but Id reccommend it.