How to slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassdreamer, Jul 3, 2002.

1. bassdreamer

Jul 3, 2002
    I learn how to slap by myself.
    But the thumb don't sounds well.
    I use to do it as it is told in all lessons, but it's not as well as i had expected
  2. ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    I don't know what you mean entirely but I can recomend some things. I think every one has there own way of slapping but the one thing that almost everyone does (when starting at least) is keep your thumb parrallel with the string. Also you wanto to make contact with part of your thumb that sticks out the most(kind like where the joint is) And lastly don't play to hard(but not to light as well, you want the slaps and pops to be kind of the same volume. Hope this helps
  3. When I slap I use the first joint of the thumb (on the side) and position it right at the beginning of the fretboard (or sometimes close to the bridge while muting the string with the palm of my rhand). Important is to control your force and quickly move your thumb back once you've hit the string (hit and run) so the string doesn't get muted by your thumb. You have to practice a lot to make the hit well timed and well placed. I used to practice slapping on the knuckels of my left hand (1,2,3,4,3,2,1,etc.) for days and days.