Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to slide smoothly?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm learning how to play 2 octave scales but i cant get the slides sound good, either i get this annoying fretbuzz or the pick scratch kind of noise... how to do it smoothly?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    practice slowly, concentrating on making your slides sound as seamless as possible, then build up speed.

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Don't slide. Practice slowly, as one note sounds, shift your hand so you can reach the next note. When you get this down perfect start practice at slightly higher tempos. You're fingering system shouldn't have you playing more than four notes per string, and you have four fingers . . .

If you need help with fingerings, lemme know. Good luck!

4. Briguy

Briguy

Feb 14, 2005
    Sliding is alot easier when you have a callus. I used to just rub my fingers on the strings really fast to build em up, some call it self-mutilation, I call it dedication. Keep in mind I was just trying to speed up the process, if you play everyday youll get calluses quick.

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I have callouses, and for some reason i can slide without a noise now... probably just needed some practice on it...

Will:

G||--------------------------------11-12-14-||
    D||---------------------9-11-12-14----------||
    A||-----------7-9-11-12---------------------||
    E||--5-7-9-10-------------------------------||

here's my fingering.

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    You could always cheat and buy a set of Elixirs. The coating really does make a difference in your speed of play IMO. The only question you ask yourself is : will I really like the sound they put out?

I guess one more question would be do I want to spend 35 to 40 bucks on a new set of strings?
    I'd just take the advice these guys have lent and save the money.

AuG

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    When i bought my BTB it was strung(ed?) with elixir nanowebs...

i didn't do 2octave scales back then but i cant remember elixirs being anything special at all...

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Eh, I'm not trying to pass them off as something special, just something that may help him out. The coating does give the "slick" feeling that some people like.

When you bought your BTB, were the strings starting to get flaky? Old Elixir strings will start to peel after heavy use, it almost looks like they're shedding skin like a snake or something. Maybe your strings were old or heavily played? I dunno :meh:

AuG

9. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Looks good. So with your fingering, you don't need to slide, right?

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah, they were exactly like that, i guess they were old and heavily played then. : :cool: