1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to solve my problem with tone sucking pedals...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Hi guys..

Before I got my Truly Beautiful Deaster I never cared much about true bypass. But now it seems like I have to.

Anyway, here's my problem.
    My chain is: Bass->Truly Beautiful Disaster->Sansamp->Amp

in the (Feedback)-Loop of the Disater:
    Boss Super Shifter->Digitech Synth Wah->EHX Tube Zipper->EHX Bass Micro Synth->DOD Gonkulator->Boss Bass Overdrive->Boss Heavy Metal->Digitech Turbo Flanger->Line 6 Echo Park

everytime I switch on the Loop there is a volume drop. This might be a real problem, especially when playing live.
    I tried to have only a few pedals in the loop and it was fine.

Any suggestions what to do...?

thanks!!

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'd say put an Aphex Bass Xciter at the end of the chain to solve tone sucking.

See Excane bellow for volume drop.

3. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    When you switch on the loop and there is a volume drop, is this with all the pedals in the loop turned off?

If that's the case, a clean signal booster after those pedals would be a solution.

4. yeah, exactly. That's when all the pedal in the loop are turned off.

Cool, thanks for the quick replies.
    The new Electro Harmonix LPB Nano Booster maybe..

5. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    What kind(s) of cables are you using? Have you already checked them? Can you adjust the Desaster's loop's volume input? What if you put the overdrive in front of the loop's chain of effects and slightly boosted it's signal to get it back up to normal?

6. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just wanted to point out that tone suck and volume drop are not the same thing.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Add a clean boost to the loop and adjust it so there is no volume drop.

8. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I checked out the Beautiful Disaster pedal. I would absolutely love to hear how you use that in a band. I listened to all the samples, from most of the pedals that they have, and my ears hurt from it. I'm not saying you can't, but I don't know how you would use any of that outside of solo recording stuff.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, I'm confused how a true bypass is related to the volume drop problem?

10. Have you tried looping directly from the TBD loops input to it's output with a patch cable to see if the volume drop still exists? If it does in this mode, then it's the TBD at fault, not the rest of the pedals.

11. No, but I have tried having only the Tube Zipper in the loop and everything was fine, no volume loss when engaging the loop.

I have checked the cables and tried different ones, yeah.

12. So then either one or more of your other pedals are causing or contributing to the problem. Check 'em one at a time and see how you go.

It might also have something to do with the order in which they're connected. ie; impedance mismatching.