Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to sort Fender Jazz Bass types?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coleman, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i dont know what the meaning of "Vintage" , "Deluxe" , "Standard", "american deluxe".....???

:confused:

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Fender make ranges depending on appintment and origin and to a price range.

The current 'standard' instrument is known as the Standard. So there's the Mim (Mexican) Standard and the Mia (USA) Standard etc.

The 'deluxe' models, with different pickups, active eq, fancy tops etc are known as the Deluxe, so Mim Mia etc.

Fender made instruments differently throughout the years. Anything older than 5 years seems to get a 'vintage' tag. Fender make reproductions of various 'vintage' years, 62 being a favourite. These vintage instruments can be a faithful reproduction or a composite of features.

Marketing wise Fender have targetted every potential customer from the beginner to rock star. Models that you missed out are

Affinity-cheapest Squier
    Squier-beginners instruments
    Highway-made in USA to lower spec and price

and Custom shop

The Fender Custom shop makes production models as well as custom ordered one offs. THeres a TIme Machine vintage line featuring NOS (new old stock) Closest Classic (light 'aging') and Relic (aged to look 40+ years old). The custom shop also do a production run of customised instruments. And finally theres the custom shop proper, where you could order say a Koa Jazz with an ebony board and probably convince them to fit Barts (whatever) via an order form. The Luthier will phone you and dicuss the order etc.

Hope that helps alleviate the confusion.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Good luck -- Fender has done a wonderful job of muddying it's brand to the point of total confusion.

There's new vintage, old vintage, vintage vintage, standard, deluxe, standard deluxe, American, American standard, American standard deluxe...

In simple terms, American means it's made in America, Standard means it's made elsewhere (typically Mexico or the Far East), and Deluxe means added features of some type, such as perhaps an onboard pre-amp (without reference to origin of manufacture -- some Deluxes are made in the U.S., others are not).

Vintage is a whole other category. There's true Vintage, which means an authentic 1956 P-bass or a 1960 Jazz bass, for example. And then there are the many reproductions of older models that Fender brands as Vintage.

Don't even get me started on the whole Squier thing.

Hope that helps.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    THe Standard range was made in US and in Mex until the recent revamp. I think it's called the american series.

Don't forget the use of the word Special which means a number of things.

Other series that I remember have been

Tex Mex
    California
    Corona
    FMT

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Anniversary
    Collectables

Squier

JV
    Silver Series
    Pro Tone

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't forget the artist signiature range.

As far as the whole MIA/MIM thing goes, as far as I can tell they don't distinguish between them explicitly on the Fender site.

You've got "Standard" and "Deluxe" - I assume they are MIM.

Then you've got "American Standard" & "American Deluxe" - MIA.

And like you said, you've got the American Vintage range.

There's also the "Classic" range. I dunno what that's about.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    There's also 'MasterBuilt' and 'TeamBuilt', plus various re-issues (RIs), and of course... MIJ (Made In Japan).

I think that Classic are TeamBuilt...not sure though.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Fender "Classic" series of basses and guitars are MIM (Made In Mexico).

Currently, the only two "Classic" basses offered are the 60's Jazz Bass, and the Mustang Bass.

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?node_id=2531

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Don't forget about the relics, closet classic, Hwy 101, Hot Rods, etc.

10. Best bet is to get it straight from the tree:

jwillis@fenderusa.com
    Jonh Willis, Customer Relations

He sent me the 2002 Frontline and the Frontline additional last year. Even though it is a big, evil corporation, I still like to look at all of the gear. Mmmm...block inlays...

11. Then there's the 1962 Jazz, which has been out for over a decade, but is'nt a '62 at all due to the two stacked knob configuration. Seems everyone in the world except Fender knows that the stacked knob configuration only came out in 1960. DUH!

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    then there are the Precision and more common Jazz COPY basses, which are basically everywhere, since everyone wants to be just like fender. actually, many are just P or J Style, like many sadowskys and lulls and such, which just seem too high class to call "copies", but are still based on the most popular fender designs.

13. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    Thx for give me the meaning!
    now i have more understanding!
    but i still have few questons...(for fender jazz bass)

1)please tell me what things add in deluxe model?please give some example please!

2)is "american vintage" ," american deluxe" is better than only vintage and others(i mean quality and the hardware)?

3)i hope buy the jaco model(not fretless and not relic, not custom model), what the type for it?
    and it is good?

14. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I have a 1997 P-Bass Deluxe (American) and it is different from the standard P in that it has a P pickup and a dual humbucker. It also has an extremely lame 3 band onboard preamp.

15. It's really very hard to explain. If you check the website it give you all the details. You can even download the retail pricelist. Pretty cool.

www.fender.com

16. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    The deluxe Jazz has grapghite reinforcing rods in the neck, noiseless pickups, smaller body/longer neck, better tuner pegs, string-thru-body bridge, a better truss rod (I think), and probably a few other things that I missed.

The Jaco model only comes in a fretless, since he was mainly known for his fretless playing.

I hope this helps.

17. Actually, it comes in both fretted and fretless, according to the Fender site.

18. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Doh!!

(Didn't you read my signature at the bottom of my post?)

:spit:

:D :D :D