1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to sound like a car sub excurting?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yes, im looking to reproduce the sound of speaker excursion without actually excurting/killing anything. Im sure fuzz must be involved, but im not sure which.

Think really LOW crunk run at really HIGH volumes.

(PS. OH lord.... here we go again with the FX.....)

2. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    buy a synth?

3. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    buy a 215 in a hurry without checking the drivers from a friend and notice the blown cone on one driver a half hour later like i did. sounds like south central all night my practice space. it sounds EXACTLY like a cadillac with the subs dimed. sometimes it's pretty awesome how damaged it sounds.

really though, why not just find an already damaged speaker? i remember reading about JJ Burnel of The Stranglers poking holes in the cones of his 810 to get his patented overdriven tone.

cheapest idea i can think of.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    nothing will sound like max speaker excursion except max speaker excursion, unless someone purposely makes an effect to sound just like that

that said, tim foreman gets that sort of sound on "The Blues" (off the "Nothing is Sound" album) and I've wondered if that is what it is or if there is some effect/overdrive getting that percussive attack

5. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    also, maybe...

cheap bass synth pedal - digitech bass synth or whatever + EQ pedal with bass/low mids boosted + play chords. would sound like turd. turd is wanted here.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Im surprised at the synth suggestions. I had a BSW and I never got anywhere close to a sub-excursion sound from it.

What I really figured would be suggested would be a "farty" type of fuzz....

Interesting :meh:

Not really into getting broken drivers and the like. Looking for more of a direct to board type "solution".

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In that case, just run it to the board and let the sub(s) take care of it.

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    well I dont have much to base this on, but I know there's a pedal out there called the Torns Peaker or Torn Speaker, maybe a Devi Ever pedal..

The other idea would be an OC-2 into a lowpass (fx25 will work) and give the OC2 a very hot signal, so that it farts on a relatively hard attack. My pbass does this to my OC2 and at first I wasn't sure if it was my speaker farting or the pedal- It's the pedal.

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    When I was playing with my Devi Ever BIT at work, a co-worker thought i was playing through a blown speaker :D

10. Isn't there some processing equipement called the 808 or something... can't remember but I think it makes that fluffy sound.

Also an open back cab and big speakers, 18's.

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you mean the Roland TR-808 drum machine? it had a bass drum sound, but it doesn't make "that" sound without a sweet rig!

12. I'm probably not remembering right, it was many years ago that I read about studios using effects while recording rap albums. They used something similar to a sonic maximizer but it blurred the sound a bit.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, Torns Peaker, or whatever. That's exactly what is supposedly does. Just what the OP ordered. And yes, I think it's a Devi Ever product. PedalsPlus Effects Warehouse had 'em.

14. you can always get a cheap 808 kick sample and trigger it into a cheap 1x15 combo amp that is cranked.

i sure do loves me some bass drops :D

bring on the hardcore.

15. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Bass drops are great! Every song, every breakdown!

16. its the official noise of the concept "**** **** up"

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Bump. Seriously want to make sure the one on moog audio is one, before I consider shelling out 200+$$ for one.....

19. As far as I know Oohlala make several of Devi's more popular designs under license. The Torn's Peaker is one of them; just check the identical specs and description.

Matt.

20. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I THINK there are pre devi (effector 13?) and ooh la la manufacturing torns speakers plus they always seem to use different graphic runs (alot of devi ever pedals have different graphic runs) tis cool... but yeah see if you can get sound samples first to make sure tis what you want!