How to start on Double Bass....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Festus, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I am an electric player who would like to start on Double Bass in the next few years.

What would be the best way to start?
  2. It's probably best to start by deciding when in the next few years you're gonna start. Then you have to start thinking about getting an instrument to play. The teacher you hire should be able to help you with that.

It's never to soon to begin preparation. You can start by developing a good stretching routine (toe touches, kneck rolls, etc.), followed by a five mile run, then some light weightlifting (alternating upperbody and legs), finally jump rope to build stamina and coordination. Do this five times a week until you get the bass, then you can decrease it to three.
  3. And you could start going to clubs for the last set, and practice finding where the owner disappears to when it's time to pay the band.
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Do whatever it takes to get your hands on an instrument and just play. Find a teacher after you know you're hooked, but try it out first. I started on upright just a couple of months ago and approached it pretty much like I did electric almost 5 years ago... I just started playing it and dug in.
  5. Well I must say that is the smoothest way I have seen the topic established.
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    What? You forgot to mention steroids! You weren't being serious, right?
  7. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    And don't forget to unplug the electric player :D
  8. If you still have your Christmas tree, you can pretend its a bass and take it with you everywhere you get use to hauling a bass
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    ...and in order to get a feel for the physical aspects of playing DB, dance with your Grandma every chance you get...
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Make sure to leave on the glass-ball type ornaments. Plan a trip to your luthier for each ball broken.
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

There are some good resources around here for getting ready to take the plunge into the dark side of the pool. We're currently planning on putting together a DB FAQ on the subject, but since everyone has real lives, it's taking more time than we would have wanted. The link that follows will be the starting point of the FAQ. Hope it helps:

Good luck,