Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to start refinishing a bass-1983 Ibanez RoadstarII Fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mz53480, May 25, 2005.

1. mz53480

mz53480

May 25, 2005
    Washington State
    Hi,
    I just bought a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II fretless 4 string bass.
    (Japanese made) Attached are some pics.
    Basically, I want to refinish the body and clean up the parts. The nut has a chip out of the low E side so I want to replace that. Also want to replace the pickup to something a bit nicer. Also replace the control cavity cover.

I've never done this before. Any suggestions as to where to start (web links) or good books to look at for help?

Details:
    Rosewood fingerboard (21 line fret markers), Maple neck, Solid ash body, Single passive humbucking pickup and three-way normal/phase/single coil tap switch. 1 Tone and 1 Volume control. Chrome bridge.

Thanks,
    MZ

Attached Files:

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    About the most helpful refin place I've found is the Guitar ReRanch (www.reranch.com). They've also got a forum (www.guitarrefinishing.com) that is custom tuned to this exact question. My only complaint about them would be that they focus very heavily on nitrocellulose finishes since that's what they sell. They're still one of the best resources I know.

As for a place to start on the project, I'd say the first thing to do is plan your work. Lots of people want to take a beater bass and do a transparent or natural finish on it, but remember this bit of wisdom (that I can't claim to be my own). "They painted it a solid colour for a reason." Usually a company like Ibanez doesn't worry about matching grain in multi-piece bodies, so unless you get really lucky you should plan for another solid colour finish.

-Nate

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Another good resource is ProjectGuitar.com. There are some really good articles and links.