Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How To Start Someone On Theory

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by just_a_poser, Aug 8, 2002.

1. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I don't really know that much theory, I'm actually just starting to learn about different things, and I'm enjoying learning.

Anyway, so I have a friend who plays guitar. And he's just picking up how to play, but still doesn't have a real grasp on what he's doing, and wants me to show him, since I'm pretty much his only friend that really knows anything about it. And I figure I won't be showing him anything that really applied only to bass, probably like scales and stuff like that.

My question to you is, what should I go over first and then move into? I only ask because I notice a lot of times when I try teaching someone anything, I start showing them something, without showing them something else first and they get confused, and I don't realize it because I already know about one subject and don't stop to think if they do. So I don't want to start showing him something and have him be even more confused than he is now about the matter. So I thought perhaps you could help me out as to where to start him off and then possible directions to go from there.

Thanks for any help from anyone. I appreciate it!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Matt,

Start with diatonic harmony. Here's how I do it.
    1. The major scale
    2. Chords of the major scale build on each note of the major scale (in thirds)
    3. investigate the inherent maj/min/dim quality of each chord of the major scale
    4. Look at some tunes that are based on diatonic harmony (1,000's of them): I,IV,V (and their variations, I,VI,IV,V (and variations).
    5. add is some other diatonic chords, like the II

There are 1,000's of songs that fit this model. You can use recognisable tunes to hammer home the theoretical ideas.

Mike