1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to start the string journey all over again.... (2nd bass)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Sam Dingle, Sep 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm buying a new bass...

If all goes well I'll have a fully carved Gotz bass. 2 reasons I'm getting it are because I like the idea of having a backup bass AND guitar center didn't know what they had and priced it way too low. Thats a story for another thread:

Where do I start? This is all based on opinions I get but I'm not sure which direction to go in; Do I string it with guts (or gut like strings) for that sound/feel, do I set it up with Spirocores?

Right now it has Evah mediums. I'll have it set up but unless something changes I'll probably want something lighter tension. I use Evah weich on my main bass so I'm thinking something different. Thoughts?

People with 2 basses, how do you keep them both strung?

2. I have one arco bass that I strung with BCs this week after using 92s for years, and one pizz bass strung with my favorite set of Spiros that have moved from bass to bass over the years as I've upgraded.

Two basses with different setups is a nice problem to have if storage isn't an issue. I kept three for years, strung with Spiros, gut and arco strings respectively, until I stopped gigging and sold down.

What's your intended application? There's your answer.

geoffbassist likes this.
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Congrats on the amazing find!

When I got a second bass, I thought it would be great to go to the opposite ends of the spectrum- one with Spirocores, the other with gut. I reasoned to myself that I would use the gut on my ply for jazz, blues and country; and the Spiros for orchestra. It seemed like a good plan on paper, but it wasn't really effective in practice. I found that I usually used one bass or the other for everything for a period of time, and neglected the other until the tide changed in the other direction. It was fun playing naked gut in orchestra, btw! :D

Until very recently, I was using all steel- Spiro reds on the carved orchestra bass with a C extension, and Weich on the ply bass. Then I got access to a third bass on short term loan from a friend, so I put the gut strings on that bass. Funny, it's an old school bass that was set up for gut (prolly fifty + years ago). Someone put steels on it without changing anything, so it played like crap. The guts are really nice on that bass, prolly better than my ply. I'm going to hate to return it.

All said, it's nice to have the option to go back and forth, but certain circumstances can make it more of a PITA than it's worth. Only you can be the judge of those circumstances, and how appropriate it is for you. If you have the strings, I'd say go for it!

The Sheriff posted whilst I was rambling- his advice is great, as usual.

Joe

4. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I think I'd like a modern bass and an old school setup bass. The issue is with guts in Louisiana isn't a good idea for me (I know people who do it).

5. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I would have to invest in some more strings

6. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Usually after a few attempts, the bass will tell you what works best for it, in the string dept. enjoy the ride....

DC Bass likes this.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have both basses strung the same, but they are for the same purpose in two different locations. If I were getting a second bass for arco, I would string it for arco.

DC Bass likes this.
  8. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Congrats on the new bass :thumbsup:

I asked the exact same question here.

I eventually set up my Wunderlich hybrid with gut strings which was fun, but since I use that bass for outdoor gigs here in Florida, it wasn't too practical. Now both basses are wearing Zyex lights and have no plans to change things at the moment.

What are you considering for a gut alternative?

- Steve

DC Bass likes this.
  9. If you are not going to play two styles at the opposite end of the spectrum, you might as well string it with what works best for your style and this bass, and you will have the luxury of finding out which of the two basses is your favourite, and which is the backup. To me this is a totally hypothetical situation though.
    PS: If you want to learn something about the bass, you could consider to string it up like your other bass, and you will learn a lot about the dífferences between the two instruments, and you can take it from there. Perhaps you have a spare set of your current string.

PaperbackRyder likes this.
  10. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Asi it seems that you`re similar string dork as I am, why not go Gerold Genssler with one of your basses? You`d have most of gut vs climate issues covered that way too. Congrats on your new bass!

11. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Those are expensive haha

12. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    If you like a gut (ish) pizz sound, and an arco string, maybe try the D'addario Kaplans. I use them on both my basses and love them. I keep a Spiro for the low E.

13. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I think I'll go with super silvers or Evah slaps on this bass. Maybe all synthetic with a Gut G to try it out again.

14. If you're planning on doing any arco playing, I'd go with the Evah slaps.

HateyMcAmp and DoubleMIDI like this.
  15. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    +1

Silver Slaps sound like farts when bowed. Doesn't matter attack/approach/placement/bow/rosin/hair; it's all farts.

SamuelHarris and HateyMcAmp like this.
  16. 834federal

834federal David Brodie

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia
    I've got a gut bass (chorda Carlos henriguez-love them!)and a steel bass (Spiro weichs well, that is except for the G string) Love having both! Congrats, whatever you decide to do!

17. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I have two DBs and basically have them setup the same as far as bridge curvature goes for 75% pizz with 25% arco. One is carved; the other ply. One is upstairs; the other downstairs. The ply usually has guts D/G; the carved all steel. I like having the option to take either one to a given gig but usually go with the carved.

18. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    EP Slaps didn't have enough tension to drive my carved Upton Hybrid. Sounded killer on my ply bass, though - sorry I sold them. Gut G sounded better than the syn G; the syn D was great. Super Silvers have been my go-to for several years and I've been happy with them. To the rabbit-hole!

SamuelHarris likes this.
  19. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    My idea would be to have my main bass be a steel string bass and this one gut like

Remyd and HateyMcAmp like this.
  20. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    If I got a second bass, I would a string up a set that I know well, and get a baseline ( hah) to start out with. The instrument will guide you from there. Basically what POVL said.