1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to store guitars for long periods of time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GTA4lifehomie, Nov 27, 2017.

1. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Han Solo in Carbonite. I hear good things about this method... can't get it done just anywhere, though. Kind of expensive, too...;) I don't have any basses (or guitars) that are stored long term (the playable ones that aren't always out, get their turn for a month at a time, at least once a year), but I do have a few that are down for work or customization. None of those have strings, so the truss rods are set for minimal tension on a straight neck. The climate in my house is very stable, but even then, I check them fairly often; more to remind myself that I need to get off my lazy butt and do something with them, than anything else.. but, so far, they're all fine.:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. so far this is as conflicting as what fingerboard wood sounds "better" :meh:

3. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    yes, I agree, and we are still waiting! Also, the one below.

Why don't we have any takers, who can explain why both advices are exactly right, and should be carried out?
    It is written there, in the same context and even mentions at NO POINT in the maintenance guide anything with the truss rod. Now if the two guidance memos above shouldn't hold true together, let's hear it for which one of them is right? It's either or! Because one things for sure, both of them can't be.

C'mon now folks lets hear it. Luthiers too. Chime in!

4. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    See: maxed out trussrod, 12th fret kink, heat press, ski jump, warped neck, compression fretting.