Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to strengthen tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 24, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    are there any good techniques to use to strengthen tapping? id like to make both hands stronger and a little quicker. so if anyoen has any suggestions...thats good.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Just got to do it more and more.

don't worry about the flashy stuff at first, focus on making EVERY note even and clear, with NO fret buzz.

practice as slowly as you need to, to accomplish this and build from there.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    any kind of walks that i should do. shoudl i use my right hand for high notes or lows to start...etc? anythign else?

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, you should do whatever is comfortable for you.

that said, I generally use my right hand for higher notes and my left for lower notes, it kind of just falls into place that way.

I generally use my index and ring finger on my left hand and my index middle and ring on my right.

5. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Try this, first practice some basic scales with your right hand slowly (major, minor, blues, 3rds etc.) , then try to do the same scale your left hand, remember to do this slowly, that's very important, then try some basic basslines with your left hand and add some melody with your right hand, I recommend starting with latin grooves (ala Wooten) tapping is a very fun technique indeed, but remember KISS (that's what my drummer always tell me) ;)

EDIT: use all your fingers

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Make sure your bass is set up properly.
    Tapping doesn't involve strength. You need dexterity.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    fixed it for you ;)

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :p

Thanks WR.