Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to strip off ozite covering?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hopefully this is the right forum:

Over the past few years the black ozite covering on my G-K combo amp has started to peel off. I'd like to strip it completely off and do something unique with my combo.

Has anyone done anything like this before, and if so, please post pics.

I'm thinking I'll remove the amp's corners; pull out it's 'guts' and speakers, sand it down smooth and primer it an arctic white; then I'll give my daughters some really bright paints and let them take over. Once their work has dried, I'll spray it with some kind of clear coat.

Does this sound cool?

Thanks for all input in advance,
    - Art

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Does anyone have any tips on the best way to remove the black ozite covering off an amp/speaker cab?

Thanks, Art

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not sure.... the carpet stuff has always just ripped off nicely for me.

THat sounds like a great idea!!! I can't wait for pictures of it when done :bassist:

4. It should come off fairly easily, depending on what type of adhesive it was put on with. I used spray adhesive to put mine on a new cab, and it stays in place nicely, but I could still pull it off fairly easily if needed.

The problem is that it's likely to be a furry, sticky mess underneath, and this could very well affect your new plans. If you plan to re-carpet, it's not a problem, but if you're thinking about sanding, staining or painting, it's gonna be a nightmare.

Good luck...

Mag...

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I tried it with an SWR Bigfoot cab. I started with a small piece on the bottom but realised that it was a real pita to remove. So I glued the pice back on. But I´d really like to know if there is some chemical that can be used to take care of the glue. I would like to finish a carpeted case in truck bed liner instead.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Wow, that's a great idea! This will be my plan B if the carpet and it's adhesive don't come off as cleanly as I hope they will. I'm sure I can get the box smoothed down enough to go with the spray-on bedliner material.

I really have to say that I don't like black ozite carpet on any cab, -period. The stuff picks up all sorts of nasty smells and it's not that durable. Cats sure love the stuff though......

Thanks everyone for your input.
    -Art