1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to switch GT The Brick to 220V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by larrytron, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hey TB'ers.
    I've just scored a used GT Brick from ebay. It arrived today, perfect so far.:hyper:

As I live in France and the brick comes from the US, it is still on the 110V mode.

I need it to be at 220V if I want to use it properly(I have an old 220/110 transformer but it doesn't have ground etc...).

The problem is about the way to switch it, on the GT website it is said the 110V runs with a 1A fuse the 220 with a 1/2A fuse.
    But! when I look to the back of the brick it is said that 110 runs with 500mA and 220 with 250mA.
    Who's right?:help:
    Do you know how to switch the beast from 110 to 220? (I mean besides changing the fuse will I have to do some wiring?).

That is a lot of questions, I know.:p

Thanks a lot for your input.

Moderators: Feel free to move the subject if you think it's in the wrong forum.

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    dude, I would email Groove Tubes directly on this one.

3. I mailed them a week ago without response. I've just sent them a second email.

4. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    So this is for info only - I have no relationship with GT...

I opened my version. This information is based on what I see visually without a lot more thought put into it...

The power transformer appears to have 2 primary windings in parallel for 115 volt operation.
    The connections to the primary winding would have to be de-soldered and wired in series for 230 volt operation.

Since you are asking the question - you are probably not qualified to make the change but someone who is qualified can make it fairly easily. You can hurt or kill yourself if you do it incorrectly - so get help.

After someone makes the mod - they should test the voltages, power line leakage and ground bond test it.

5. OK it seems to be too sophisticated for me even if i understood the problem.

I'll probably go to see a tech.

I don't want to hurt myself...:rollno:

Thanks a lot for your answer.