Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to take apart an Acoustic cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CzarMike, Oct 27, 2002.

1. There is something rattling around in my Acoustic 106 cabinet, and I'm kind of stuck as to how one would take apart the cab to get inside. My best guess would be to somehow get the front grill off and then just unscrew the speakers, but I don't want to damage the grill in the process and it almost looks like the grill is glued on there (there are no screws at least).
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks a million,
    Mike

2. Uberbass

Uberbass

Aug 23, 2002
    You're correct in that the nylon grill comes off. It's likely to have a combination of some metal clips, and some plastic fasteners (bristle block type stuff - remember those???) that secure the nylon grill to the cab.

CAREFULLY, use a flat head screw driver to pry between the edges of the grill and the sides. It should come off pretty easily. Once you get that off, you'll be able to see what's happening in there.

Good luck.
    b

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have one of the 106 cabinets, and I have been inside it, but it's been a long time. IIRC, Uberbass is correct about the bristle block type fasteners. They hold kinda like velcro does. Just pull the grill off. Seems like there are some metal objects (they resemble paper clips) along the edge of the grill that you can get a grip on with some pliers or stick a screwdriver in and pry.
    To get inside the cabinet itself, you will have to take out one of the speakers.

4. Thanks for the great help, I'll have that bugger apart in no time! Turock, what did you think about the 106's sound? I feel guilty for liking it so much, I've always heard how loose and uncontrolled 15's are supposed to be, but find quite the opposite with the 106. It is very punchy and precise (when I give it enough power).
    Do you know the official power rating/ohms?
    Thanks a billion,
    Mike

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I haven't used that particular cabinet in a long, long time, but I used it regularly from the mid seventies to the mid eighties and it served me well. I'm fairly certain that it is a 4 ohm cabinet, but don't hold me to that. When you remove one of the speakers, and if the writing on it is still legible, you should be able to determine the ohms. If it is an 8 ohm speaker (as I suspect), that would make it a 4 ohm cabinet. I have no idea of the power rating, but it was always loud enough, with the Acoustic 140 head, for my purposes (rock trio).