1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to talk to BL about posting their views on social media?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Axtman, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I want to figure out a way to delicately tell my BL not to post things on their personal Facebook page that could be construed as offensive to others. We have had a few venues cancel us and I suspect it might be the reason.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    How about: "Please don't post things on your personal Facebook page that could be construed as offensive to others. We have had a few venues cancel us and I suspect it might be the reason"?

FretFree, glocke1, jblock and 131 others like this.
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    A personal page is for personal views; some might be controversial but they're personal.
    If your BL is prominent (notorious?) in the local scene then his/her views could drift into the public.
    Clearly that stuff should not be on the band page.
    If they're not separate, they should be.
    There are musicians (OK - so far just one...) I wouldn't work with due to his views and how he expresses them.
    And no, I won't go to his shows.
    It's his right to hold and express his views, and deal with the consequences.

There may come a time when you need to decide whether it's a big enough deal - either because you don't agree with his viewpoint or you don't agree he has a right to express them despite the consequences, which may affect you - that you need to question whether you're in the right project.

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Agreed. I don’t give a crap what’s done on personal pages. I just don’t like anything controversial on the band page.

So, until there’s a situation where “we would have booked you, but your bassist is obsessed with posting pics of his dogs,” this shall remain my POV.

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

I'd like to strongly suggest that you edit your last sentence out of your post.

Loring likes this.
  6. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    if you're in charge of the band FB page, you can probably "unfriend" that band member for starters. I would of course tell him why. No one these days should be surprised that it doesn't take much to trigger outrage and being ostracized.

I will never "like" my workplace on FB for this kind of reason. I like to engage in political discussion, or once did, on FB.

I think FB is the past however, and am glad for it. I can surmise your bandmate is not of the Big Tech approved political or religious view, and is probably better off discussing such things elsewhere anyway. FB will be nothing but a message app in a few more years.

mikewalker, John6 and Vinny Vincenzo like this.
  7. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    What you post online is public whether you like it or not.

For example. Future employer's HR people will go to your social media page to see check things out. One could argue that if a person wants to get drunk, go to strip clubs and street brawl on their own time that is their prerogative. But I guarantee it will affect their future employment.

My sister is a public school teacher and I won't go into details but she had a coworker that got into trouble for posting stuff on her own "personal" social media page.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Agreed.

9. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    That's not bad.... but I think it would be better if he told them "Please don't post things on your personal Facebook page that could be construed as offensive to others. We have had a few venues cancel us and I suspect it might be the reason";)

SactoBass and mikewalker like this.
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Curious as to why you think that. We had a guitarist that was very political on his personal page, but unless he was friends with someone from the venue, no one would ever see it.

And I would tread lightly, telling your BL what or what not to do may end up with you looking for a new gig.

11. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    If the venu

Well put.

12. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Is the BL posting truly horrendous things on social media or is it just simply a difference of opinion?
    If you're looking for an easy way to tell this person I'm assuming they're a bit of a hot head.
    But if this person just holds a different view from others, and those views aren't expressed in or constitute hate ( or any other bad word you want to use here), then i would stand behind the band leader even if my own views were different.
    I definitely wouldn't want to lose gigs but is the BL to blame, or are others being petty?

BOOG and cheapbasslovin like this.
  13. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    It depends on the person's privacy settings. You can select whether your posts (by default on all posts, or on an individual basis) are public or can only be viewed by your friends.

Plectrum72, LBS-bass and sqlb3rn like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It doesn't matter if others are being "petty". They own the venues OP wants to play. They can hire or not hire for any reason they choose.

As such, maybe the band leader could shut the heck up a little.

You ever change your political views because someone on the internet "showed you the light"? Me neither. So this dipstick isn't "making a difference" by blathering on about who's "right and wrong".

Yep. I would talk to him for sure....but IF, and only if, I really thought that was the reason we didn't get hired back.

Here's another thing you might try first, OP. ASK the people who book one or two of those venues why you didn't get hired back again. Of course, you'll want to phrase is differently. "I was just wondering what we might change about our band that would make it a better fit for your venue." Be smooth about it. When you have the conversation with the band later, just say "I happened to be in there so I figured I would ask."

And if you find out that it IS the BL's political views, you have some ammo.

I don't care what your political views are. But don't cost me gigs with it. The 1st Ammendment protects us from GOVERNMENT persecution. It doesn't protect us from bar owners ......or fellow band members. ;)

15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    There are two topics I never discuss, politics and religion. I never post anything that could be interpreted as controversial. When you do, you run the risk of losing half your audience. People are too sensitive these days. If they see posts which disagree with their opinion, they will probably not go to see your band. If they are in the position to book your band, you may lose gigs as well. I had a drummer who was constantly posting things bashing politicians, posting about conspiracy theories regarding the government and so on. I started getting messages through my social media pages from people who found his comments offensive. I spoke with him about it and he continued to post. We made the decision to replace him. I don't understand why people are so consumed with posting negative comments about politicians, celebrities and current news topics. Don't they have anything better to do with their time?

mikewalker, BobKos, zubrycky and 4 others like this.
  16. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

LOL! we had a drummer who was/is a charter member of the Tinfoil Hat and Window-covering Club.

17. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I would kick him out or demote him to "hired gun" status. As a member, he is an ambassador of your band at all times and everything he does effects your image. Odds are if you ask him to tone down his political content, he will push back and accuse you of being controlling.

SactoBass likes this.
  18. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Don't disagree but the original post don't give us alot of info on the situation. Im guessing it's pretty bad stuff but if the local bingo hall is mad because i have a donkey or elephant on my fb then good riddance.

Turbo Sparky and two fingers like this.
  19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    That’s true, but I feel like most people set it to friends only

20. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I doubt most people would want to see a band with a singer who has a dog tattooed on their face unless they were an exceptionally excellent singer with an exceptionally excellent band.

Anything featured on ones Social Media page is effectively tattooed on their face that they bring up on stage along with their skill and gear.

It's probably best for most musicians to keep their personal pages about the same as how they would keep their conversations in restaurants- family, vacations, work highlights.

If your page features Lock Her Up or Shut Down All Nuclear, your best bet is to only be in political originals bands as an artist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.