Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to tame a Cirrus? Compress or EQ ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Papersen, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´m just trying to fine tune my Cirrus 4. I love the way it sounds, but still can´t get the same output between fingerstyle and slap.
    I´ve been trying by adjusting string attack, hand position, and onboard EQ, but still can´t get the desired results.

I´m considering a Compressor or an EQ (stompboxes).
    However my main concern about compressors is if they´re gonna kill the hi-fi sound this bass delivers.

BTW, is Sansamp BDDI a good option or isn´t recommended for high output active basses ?

Please suggest me some sub $150 options (used or new).

Thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A compressor would be the way to go, IMHO.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, a compressor would help.

It's just really strange to me that you are having this problem. My Cirrus is the most compressed sounding bass of any I own. It is the one bass that I don't have to try to tame down my slap and pop on, because it is very even in volume with my fingerstyle playing.

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the input Jeff.
    I record myself a lot and there´s always a noticeable difference between both outputs.

Did you use your EHX BlackFinger on your Cirrus ?
    How was the sound affected ?
    It´s one of the options I´ve been considering.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree with Jeff, the Cirrus is one of the most easily controlled by hand basses I've come across. You can clamp down the sound with a compressor or knock some frequencies down with an EQ but you're also altering the very recognizable Cirrus sound. If you don't mind that... I know I would.

The hard truth is that time and more practice will go much farther... and last you a lifetime.

And there are no batteries to fail;)

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I was going to post something very similar, but you got it covered. :D

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope. I use the Black Finger primarily for my Nordstrand, which is very 'peaky' when slapping the B and E string. They are very even when playing fingerstyle, but are louder and hotter when slapping than the other strings. I also use it to fatten up the signal before I send it to my other pedals, which can sound pretty uneven if you send them an uncompressed signal.

When I play my Cirrus, I use no compression at all.