Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to teach myself DB?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Musik Meister, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Well, there seems to be no teachers available in my area so I have to teach myself. My school is letting me borrown one of their basses over the summer so I can learn and then play in the orchestra. So I'm in a position where I must teach myself. I've been playing electric bass for about 5 years now. Do you think it will be difficult? Please reccomend any books, methods, advice. Thank you.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get to a teacher, even if you have to drive a ways. Take your tape recorder and make notes as well. One good lesson can save you a lot of aggravation.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Meister: if there is one thing about which DB players are unanimous, it's that learning requires a teacher.
    Experience with EBG may help, but not that much, and especialy not for the left hand position and fingerings. Best thing is to find a teacher. Tell us where you are in Ga, who knows, maybe there's a bass teacher next door, next block, next town, etc ? Call your local symphony (?) and talk to someone in the bass section.
    Don't we have a Newbie Link about this topic ?

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    There is also a good teacher here in Columbus, GA if you're looking for something over on the left side. If you'll PM me or something, I'll be happy to help you run down a teacher.