How to teach myself DB?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Musik Meister, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Well, there seems to be no teachers available in my area so I have to teach myself. My school is letting me borrown one of their basses over the summer so I can learn and then play in the orchestra. So I'm in a position where I must teach myself. I've been playing electric bass for about 5 years now. Do you think it will be difficult? Please reccomend any books, methods, advice. Thank you.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get to a teacher, even if you have to drive a ways. Take your tape recorder and make notes as well. One good lesson can save you a lot of aggravation.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Meister: if there is one thing about which DB players are unanimous, it's that learning requires a teacher.
    Experience with EBG may help, but not that much, and especialy not for the left hand position and fingerings. Best thing is to find a teacher. Tell us where you are in Ga, who knows, maybe there's a bass teacher next door, next block, next town, etc ? Call your local symphony (?) and talk to someone in the bass section.
    Don't we have a Newbie Link about this topic ?
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    There is also a good teacher here in Columbus, GA if you're looking for something over on the left side. If you'll PM me or something, I'll be happy to help you run down a teacher.