1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to tell a US Special Highway One J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agreatheight, Mar 21, 2006.

1. I have a student who recently bought a used Fender Jazz from Guitar Center for $400. It has some wear and a couple of scratches, but it still seems too good to be true for an MIA Jazz. I am suspecting that it is a US Special One and not a MIA. Is there anyway to tell for sure?

Thanks!

2. One difference I always seem to noticeis, that the body's finish isnt glossy, and more grain looking, and not as shinny.

3. If you can't tell by looking, feel the body - the finish is very different. It's a satin laquer finish, and you should see the wood grain.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Besides the thin finish, I think the Highway Ones have their truss rod access hole at the headstock, not where the fretboard meets the body.

5. Thank you sir, that does seem to be true! I will check her bass at our next lesson.

6. Spiral Bridge on Highway One
    Not Schaller Tuners on Highway One
    No string-through body bridge on highway one
    No case
    Satin Finish

7. Well then, I guess she really did get a MIA for $400 @ GC. I know the bass is string through and came with a case. Never underestimate a cute girl's ability to bargain, lol.