How to tell a USA Lakland and a Skyline apart

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eoinwalsh, Apr 23, 2017.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi

I'm buying a second hand usa 55-94 today and I want to make sure it is indeed a USA model and not a Skyline. Is the "Made in the usa" text on the back of the headstock the only indicator?

Thanks

2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    USAs have a bone nut, where Skylines have a plastic one. Also, the tuners should be Hipshot USA, not Hipshot Licensed.

TolerancEJ and GregC like this.
  3. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    US has oil finish on the back of the neck, Skyline has lacquer. Flame maple tops on Skylines are actually veneers. Colors are limited on Skyline. Etc.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Skyline has a different headstock logo, check out the Lakland website to see.

5. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    In addition, the neck bolts are chrome on the USA, black on the skylines. And the battery compartment (if it has one) says Fishman on the skylines, nothing on the USA's. Also, the serial # is stamped in the headstock (along the top) on the USA's, black print on the skylines.

Assuming it's all original, of course ;)

GregC likes this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    All flame "tops" are veneer's, aren't they? :)

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Headstock logo, tuners, pre-amp and pickups (varying with date), neck finish, quarter-sawn neck (on 55-94), possible BEM fingerboard (on 55-94), battery lid, and serial number all identify the 55-94 vs. the 55-02. Call Lakland with other questions.

Fred312b likes this.
  8. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Quartersawn is a DEFINITE difference. Good call.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Skylines have..well...the 'Skyline' logo on the headstock.

headstock-4.jpg

Dr. Cheese, Ric Vice and lildrgn like this.
  10. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    I am looking at a trade for a "1999 USA Lakland 55-94 Deluxe" with a fellow out of town. The owner is a guitar player, so he may or me not be able to reliably distinguish between USA or import. I can't see "Made In U.S.A." anywhere, in any of the pictures. The tuners don't have "Hipshot" molded into the housing, although it has the chrome neck bolts and satin finish on the neck.

Do I have a red flag here?

11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    One caveat, the Flame Maple top on
    the 55-94 I own is by all accounts a laminte as well.

12. In 1999 the Skyline series didn't exist so no Lakland said "USA" because there only was the USA line. So that would be correct.

Giraffe likes this.
  13. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Thanks, Johnny. I also checked the serial against the website and everything looks right.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have nothing to add, but the quartersawn neck and Skyline logos are dead giveaways of a bass being American or offshore in origin. If someone managed to get a USA neck and put it on a Skyline, don’t sweat it because such a bass would be darn near identical to a 100% American Lakland in playability.

Giraffe likes this.
  15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    How does one recognize whether a neck is made from quartersawn vs flatsawn lumber? What are the visual giveaways?

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    AA0AF7E2-D87E-40E8-8AED-C3CF697954EE.jpeg
    Google some examples.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021