1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to tell an authenic Gibson EB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FF Petro, Jul 28, 2007.

1. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Hey all,

I am looking to buy an SG style bass that is in pieces. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Gibson basses. Is there anyway that I could tell if is authenic or just a copy?

Is there anything I should be mindful about when looking at a Gibson?

Thanks

2. well if it isnt a set neck its prolbley not a gibby

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 The originals had a set neck, and every "copy" I've ever seen was a bolt-on. As far as things to be mindful of, a lot of them have issues with the neck being warped a bit, or having trussrod trouble, so check for straightness, and how well the rod turns. Also, the headstocks often got broken and repaired, so check for cracks or lines where it looks like the headstock might have been glued back on.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If it has the sound kind of like a dead cat being beaten against wet cardboard, it's probably a real Gibson EBO.

5. Can you post any pics? Might help and hey, it's always cool to see some old project bass.

Oh, and with Gibby QC being what it was/is, some of them sound like a dead cat being dragged up a flight of stairs, tail first. You can't always trust them to have that beaten wet cardboard sound.

Listen fot the dead cat nuance.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    As a long time owner/player, I can tell you - the neck problems with the mahogany EBs (all of them till '72 or so) did not include warping. This adage is that maple and mahogany each have a weak point - maple warps, twists, etc. Mahogany rarely does. On the other hand, you can hammer in nails with a maple neck and it won't crack, split or break. That's the problem with the old Gibby mahogany necks. The mahogany dried out and eventually, a lot of them busted. There are some very good fixes out there - particularly where the headstock and not the neck was involved, but you have to judge for yourself. The other thing to watch for is evidence that the neck has come loose and been reset. If well done, not a big problem - but if not set correctly, you'll know it.
    In the early '70's Gibson produced some EBOs and EB3s in alder. Not as good as the originals. There were also some lower end Gibsons, including SB-300's etc. If you want to learn more, there's a good site if you Google Gibsonbass.

7. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Actually, my last encounter with an EB-3 was through an SVT and it was punchier than the Stingray I had with me.

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    You can tell by the smell..

9. does it smell like a dead cat being tortured too?

ooh and if you leave one at the dump for a while i bet it can look like one too!!

:)

10. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Well, it turned out to be a cheap knock off... but I bought it anyway.

The guy had three axes that were either missing parts or completely in peices. It seems they are a Jackson Professional series bass, a Schecter Diamond series guitar, and this old beat up, plywood copy of an EB.

The Jackson has all the wires twisted around the connectors and no jackplate. So I just need to solder, assemble and find a plate for it, then it would be good to go. I played it for about 20 minutes and it plays surprisingly well.

The EB copy, I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I figure if I sand it to death and then paint it then it may be nice to put on the wall of my music room. On the other hand, if I wanted to make it useable I would have to find a nut and bridge/saddle too.

The Schecter is just a body neck and a couple pots. I'll have to buy all hardware for it. But it does have some nice inlays on the neck.

I'll post some picks of the Jackson and the EB copy after I have done some work. Right now I'll a little embaressed by them :smug: But I'll make them pretty again.

11. there ya go

Play that dead cat!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    :D

12. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    I almost forgot... Thanks for all the replies and info! I was able to tell what I was looking at in about 2 seconds.