1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to tell if Pickups are Genuine Fender or fake?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Weirdo, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Hey there,

Found a set of apparent genuine fender pickups, P style.
    I'm in need of a set since i have the current wrong pickups for my Aerodyne (Active EMG P Pickup if anyone wants it, Still sealed in box).

So, Basically the standard Fender Pickups are what im gonna buy. My plan is once i get to the place - ask to see the Fender they came out of, if not, is there any other way of identifying if the pickup is a legit fender pickup or a knock off?

Cheers,
    Jackson

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Just curious, why do you want to go with a stock Fender pickup? Some are good, but on the other hand some are not so great. Sorry I can't be of any real help, I have no idea what pickups Fender used in the Aerodyne.

3. My bass originally had a set of Dimarzio Split P's, which i hated. Way too dull and 'smooth' sounding.
    I like a punk tone, dare i say it. Something of the likes of Guns n Roses, Casualties, (Early) Greenday, Blitzkid, NOFX, etc etc.
    The majority of them all, and from all ive heard on youtube and CD's and played in person, Fender Standard Pickups do it for me.
    It's interesting you say some are good, and some arent though, Since i thought Fender pickups didnt vary very much at all?
    Stock ones, that is.

4. The ones on Japanese and Mexican Fender basses can sound really dull. Just try the Lindy Fralins, Lollar or Seymour Duncans etc.

petrus61 likes this.
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    There can be quite a difference in Fender pickups, for instance there is no comparison between a Fender original 62 and a ceramic magnet junker that is stock in some of the MIM models.

petrus61 likes this.
  6. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Not sure how to validate authentic Fender pickups. But I daresay the DiMarzios are far more aggressive than any Fender pups I have heard so far (MIM, MIJ, '62 AVRI, Pure '58, American Standard, Custom Shop). I just pulled a set of DiMarzios out of my P as they sound too hard-edged for the vintage tone I prefer. I'm trying Delano, Fralin, Lollar, Duncan SPB-1 and who knows what else. For aggressive tone, maybe try Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound or Aguilar Hot for P Bass?

YMMV!

petrus61 likes this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't mind Fender Standards pickups. As far as proving them to be Fender, good luck. They have no identifying marks. The only consistent I have seen from Fender Mexico over the years is black and white leads. I have worked on Standards from the 90s up to the mid-2000s. I have not seen anything current, they might have started putting part numbers on them but I highly doubt it.

8. The old grey ones do. My '73 P has date stamps.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I think almost all MIM and MIA Standard pickups will have the part # etched right into the plastic slug they both use for a bobbin. Post 2012, Fender MIA started using a more traditional style pickup, just like the 62RI, on a fiber bobbin that was soldered to a brass plate. I don't think those have any markings, but the coil itself will have a purple-ish tint from the enamel coating that seems exclusive to Fender.