Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to tell if someone isn't a real bass player

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jul 16, 2001.

1. The other day I was playing a show at a local "Teen hangout" and I was talking to the owner, and a little kid walked up to me and overhear me say I play bass. The kid turned to me and said "I play bass too. I have an Ibanez Seven string." In return I said, "Wow thats great", and then pulling out one of my favorite TB quotes "you know Jaco only needed four strings." The kid just looked at me, and started to walk away. Then he turned around and he said. "What's Jaco?" I find it a shame that students don't learn about the great bass players. I think it should be taught in school!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    does ibanez make 7 strings??? :confused:

there are 7 string GUITARs but no bass... maybe he heard KoRn uses them and the guy is so idiot he thought the bass also had 7 strings...

i think the guy is full of it...

or...

maybe 7 stringers are becoming popular! JT was right... what am i doing with 4 strings!

i want a 7 stringer and make all the teenage chicks drool for me :D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"...Jaco didn't need to learn about great bass players in school."
    - Me

4. Best quote ever (well, in this thread anyway :D)

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thank you, tall!

I think it was the outdoor festival our band played at this week. All the pot smoking campers gave me a Woodstock vibe and I was hitting on all cylinders for days.

6. Whenever some kid came backstage bragging about him playing bass too, i just grab out my bass, handed it over and said " knock yourself out kid, impress me :) "

most of them run away like screamin' piggies :D

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I had a guy try to run off with my bass once, but he couldn't because my foot hit him in the face.:D
    Other than that I've never had anyone approach me to try my bass.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    LMAO!!
    :D:D

9. in my former school there was a kid who i heard said he was better than me so on one of the days i brought my bass to school i gave it to him to try and he played like crap and i just pointed and laughed at him while he ran away with his tail in between his legs

10. I really did laugh out loud when I read this.

11. Now dont get me wrong, I dont think you only need four strings rickbass. I love my Fender 5 string

12. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    In all seriousness, is it just me or can you tell a bassist from a guitarist who jumps on a bass? I mean, guitarist who "play bass" generally got no groove and when they "solo" it sounds like a guitar solo, not a bass solo... maybe I'm just insane?

13. I don't think it's insanity, unless there's a mass hysteria thing going on. The biggest tip off I've seen is when a guy grabs a bass and starts playing the lead guitar line from a song. Ask a guitarist turned bassist to play Crazy Train and you get a bottomed out Randy Rhodes.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    An example of a guitar playing bassist wannabe: My friend has this friend and every time I see him, he tells me about his baritone bass [guitar] that he just bought. Sheesh.

15. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I play the lead guitar line to crazy train on bass, it's a cool finger workout (For me at least, I don't play much Jaco or Wooten). But I play with my fingers so I guess it doesn't count :)

16. It's OK. There are support groups...people who can help you.

Just say it. Say, "I'm a guitarist trapped behind a bassist's instrument." There, don't you feel better?

Remember, the first step to getting better is realizing that you have a problem. ;)

(Actually, I play it too. I just do it to show my guitarist that his "show off" riff isn't all that difficult. Ain't I a stinka?? :D )

17. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    What clues me into guitar-turned-bass player is when they are using a pick and fingering nearly every note above the fifth fret, where the frets are closer. I was watching the bassist for Styx do this last night on a DVD of their '96 tour.

18. Well the whole reason why I got a 5-string was I could play notes in diffrent poistions. Like I could play a F on the first fret on the E string. Say though I was playing something and for some reason I could simpley jump to that low F faster. Its probably a poor example thats basicly why. With our music im rarly ever playing the same not. Stuff requires a more "melodic bass line" while still supporting the bottom end. So geting to that lower note faster makes it more conviente. OK maybe thats a better example. And hey theres nothing wrong with playing past the 5th fret. I do quite a bit. I dont pick becasue im to much of a purist:O) The tone sounds a bit oh mellower when I play notes in a diffrent position IE the F# on the A string in stead of the 4th fret on the D string. Ill shut up now. SOrry about the spelling and poor grammer usage, im a bass player not an english teacher.

19. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I don't understand what's so wrong with a guitar player who decides to learn a new instrument. Is it a cosmic karma thing, like you were predestined to play the guitar or bassguitar or the flute? I started with a guitar and 6 months later switched to bass. That was 8 years ago, and since then I have learned a great deal of BS and valuable information about the bass guitar, I have no doubt that I will never stop learning, cuz I'm slow. :) BTW I love playing those old show off guitar riffs on my bass, pop and slap your way through stairway! its alot of fun.