Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to tell if your pup is over wound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 9, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for info on how to tell if your pup is over wound. I just installed an Aero type 1 Pbass pup, and I'm getting a very slight distortion when played. :meh:

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Typically an overwound pickup will have thicker mids and more output, and less clarity than an identical pickup with less windings. If you're hearing distortion, it may be because of the pickup's output distorting your preamp or something.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    that's what I thought at first, but I ruled it out after I ran it through different preamps, mixing boards...ect.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, to be honest, "overwound" doesn't mean much in isolation, because it implies that there is a correctly wound norm, which AFAIK no one has established. In other words, overwound in relation to what? One person's "overwound" is another person's "hot" or "aggressive."

But anyway, one thing you could consider, if you haven't already, is that your PU may simply be too close to the strings. Try backing it down and see if your distortion goes away. Also--and forgive me for belaboring the obvious--if you have an active bass, check your battery. It's also conceivable that you might have a defective PU, but I'd be a little surprised, ebcause I've heard only good things of Aero's QC. Still, you never know....

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yep, as far as I know overwound or underwound is relative to what a manufacturer considers standard/normal for a given pup they make.

Pretty much any passive pups with decent output will distort if they're too close to the strings, although I've had pups that would distort regardless. I'd double check intonation as well cause maybe it's changed or the Aero's are picking up something the other pups didn't.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Right....not only is it relative (presumable to a standard that was established by Fender, but one that Fender didn't even stick to on with any degree of reliability), but it also depends on the degree as well. If you could even determine what the universal standard for a singlecoil is, even the slightest number of extra winding would result in an overwound pickup. Three percent is overwound, as is five percent. But, can you tell the differnce between 3% and 5%? Maybe, maybe not. As a general guide, an overwound pickup (anywhere from 5% to in excess of 10% from a standard # of windings) will have a higher output, will have a perceived emphasis on bass and mids and a perceived decrease in highs. But, unfortunatley, there probably isn't any way to definitively tell just by looking.