Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to Tell: MIM.. MIA.. MIJ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noplayer, Sep 12, 2005.

1. noplayer

noplayer

Jul 11, 2005
    Just a quick one guys, How do you tell if its MIA, MIJ, MIM ect.
    Other that price that is. I know you guys talk about quality between them. If I go to GC is it stamped on the back?

I guess its like:

MIM = Made in Mexico
    MIA = in America
    MIJ = in Japan

Thanks for answering I couldnt find it on the search thing.

2. You'll see made in _______ on the headstock.

3. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    yea he beat me to the answer.

4. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Depending on the model, I think it can also be on the neck plate where the neck connects to the body on the back or on the back of the headstock, but the first place to look is right next to the fender logo.

5. noplayer

noplayer

Jul 11, 2005
    OK thanks Guys!

6. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    most likely your not going to really find a japanese fender in a store in america unless its like a used item that someone brought in.

but i do believe i heard like the geddy lee and mayabe marcus miller is made in japan?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For the most part, MIM Serial Numbers start with an M, MIA basses say Made in USA, and Japanese basses usually state this near the neck heel.

8. True about the neck heel bit.... in my last bout of Aero-ogling, I noticed that.

9. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    OK, but how can you tell from a catalog offer, except by the prices? And are MIJs about the same price as MIMs?

~John

10. the newer Fender standard models are made in mexico.
    the older standard and some of the newer signature models are made in japan. if it's a made in usa, the add will tell you.
    the cheapest, made in usa model, is the Highway 1 Series.
    about $650. :cool:

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Except for the Vintage Series Reissues, they don't say where they're made anywhere on them.