1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to tell string makers by characteristics?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by guitarmv, Apr 19, 2010.

1. guitarmv

guitarmv

Oct 26, 2009
    So after 40 years of playing guitar I am now, suddenly and thoroughly, a bass player, no turning back.

Which means that my GAS has switched gears, and I am buying basses, taking them apart, putting them back together, and swapping strings.

Basses do not typically arrive with the string info, and I now have a collection of strings, some I like, some I dont, and want to be able to delineate which is likely by which maker.

For instance, these roundwounds with the red cloth wrapping, top and bottom? These tapered half-rounds with the brass ball ends? These excellent half-rounds (keepers!!) with the black cloth?

I looked for a likely thread but didnt find one zactly like this.

How about listing likely hits per visual string characteristics? Hah?

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    It's a good thought, unidentified string thread :)

Perhaps your best bet would be to check out the websites of the companies whose basses you bought and see what they use for stock strings. As for used basses, that would be a bit tougher.

Also, you may want to visit sites like DR, Daddario, Ernie Ball, etc... perhaps they may have a picture of their strings outside of packaging.